Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Google Doodle: Ada Lovelace

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi everyone, (Wave)

Have you noticed that today's Doodle is about Ada Lovelace. I think it's one of those rare occasions that Google celebrates the anniversary of a mathematician. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Very cool! I couldn't see that yesterday but can now. You are ahead of me in international time is probably why. I'm going to tweet about this now :)

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
Most people don't acknowledge mathematicians. Most people don't even realize that Newton was one of two people who invented Calculus... all they know of are apples (Speechless)(Dull).... Very cool Doodle though!! Thanks for sharing that!!

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
Most people don't acknowledge mathematicians. Most people don't even realize that Newton was one of two people who invented Calculus... all they know of are apples (Speechless)(Dull).... Very cool Doodle though!! Thanks for sharing that!!
Well.. there was at least one more mathematician before Newton and Leibniz who discovered (some) calculus. Archemedes is credited for the method of exhaustion which he used, I guess, for calculating volumes of sphere and other geometrical shapes.

caffeinemachine

MHB Math Scholar
Mar 10, 2012
And I think one remarkable fact about Newton which very few seem to be aware of is that Newton was able to prove that the planets go around sun in elliptical orbits without any calculus or even vector methods. His proof was purely geometric and I think it is one of the most elegant proofs anyone has ever come up with.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I'm sure Robert Hooke would have claimed to have thought of it first. (Giggle)