Good textbooks for fluid mechanics and thermodynamics for MechE major?

In summary, the individual is planning to study abroad and take a Fluid Mechanics course. They are concerned about not having taken a thermodynamics course yet and are looking for textbook recommendations. They mention their preference for textbooks with worked out examples and their dislike for ones with large logic jumps. They also mention their major and the course description, and ask for recommendations on Frank White's book and mention other potential textbooks. The other party recommends Cengel and Boles and Fox, McDonald, and Pritchard for thermo and White's Viscous Flow book as a reference for fluids.
Blkmage
So I'm most likely studying abroad next semester and taking a Fluid Mechanics course. At my home university, the pre-reqs are multivariable calc, diff eq, statics and dynamics, and classical thermodynamics. Abroad, all I need are multivariable and diff eq.

But I'm worried that I might be at a disadvantage since I haven't taken thermo yet. Can you guys recommend me some great textbooks for thermo and fluids? I am very good at learning from textbooks, so long as they have worked out examples and such.

I LOVED the Kleppner and Kolenkow mechanics textbook and used it constantly for an honors mechanics course. On the other hand, I hate when textbooks make huge leaps in logic, especially in the example problems. I had to use the Differential Equations textbook by Polking and it was god awful in this regard.

Anyways, I wanted to read through a thermo book this summer for some intro and maybe get a head start on fluids since I want to be able to enjoy my time abroad next semester.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You won't be disadvantaged. The prerequisites are the way that they are for a reason.

At any rate, the good textbooks depend on what area of fluid mechanics you want to learn and what your major is.

I'm a mechanical engineering major and the course is really an intro to fluid mechanics, but it's designed for mechanic engineers and I've heard it's pretty math intensive. The short description is:

"Fundamental concepts; hydrostatics; integral and differential equations of fluid flows; conservation of mass, momentum and energy; dimensional analysis; pipe flow; channel flow and boundary layers. "

I was looking into the book by A.R. Paterson or the one by Frank White, but I'm not sure

Which Frank White book? His books are, in general, VERY good. I learned out of Munson, Young an Okiishi.

Some great thermo books:

Cengel and Boles, Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach. McGraw-Hill
Moran and Shapiro, Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics. Wiley

Fluids:

Fox, McDonald, and Pritchard. Introduction to Fluid Mechanics. Wiley
F.M. White. Viscous Fluid Flow. McGraw Hill
Panton. Incompressible Fluid Flow.

I wold also recommend the Cengel and Boles book and the Fox, McDonald and Pritchard book. I am only familiar with White's Viscous Flow book which is an excellent reference but it is not an intro book.

Related to Good textbooks for fluid mechanics and thermodynamics for MechE major?

1. What are the best textbooks for learning fluid mechanics and thermodynamics as a Mechanical Engineering major?

Some of the most highly recommended textbooks for fluid mechanics and thermodynamics for MechE majors include "Fluid Mechanics for Chemical Engineers" by Noel de Nevers, "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Michael J. Moran and Howard N. Shapiro, and "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson and Donald F. Young.

2. Are there any free online resources or textbooks that cover these topics?

Yes, there are many free online resources and textbooks available for learning fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. Some popular options include "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Cengel and Cimbala, "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles, and the OpenStax "University Physics Volume 1" textbook.

3. How do I choose the right textbook for my learning style and level?

Choosing the right textbook depends on your personal learning style and current level of understanding. It's important to read reviews and previews of the textbook to get a sense of the writing style, level of difficulty, and overall organization. Some textbooks also offer supplemental materials such as online resources or practice problems that may be helpful for your learning style.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand these textbooks?

Yes, a strong foundation in math is necessary for understanding fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. These topics involve complex mathematical equations and concepts, so it's important to have a solid understanding of calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to fully comprehend the material.

5. Are there any newer editions of these textbooks that I should consider?

It's always a good idea to check for newer editions of textbooks that cover fluid mechanics and thermodynamics. These subjects are constantly evolving, so newer editions may include updated information, better explanations, and more relevant examples. However, older editions can still be useful as the core concepts and principles remain the same.