Good text for a second course on ODES?

In summary: Ordinary Differential Equations"In summary, the conversation is about finding a more advanced book on ordinary differential equations, specifically covering topics such as limit cycles, existence and uniqueness theorems, phase portraits, and bifurcation theory. The recommended books include "Differential Equations & Dynamical Systems" by Perko, "A Second Course in Elementary Differential Equations" by Paul Waltman, "Ordinary Differential Equations" by V.I. Arnold, "Lectures on Ordinary Differential Equations" by Witold Hurewicz, and "Chaos: An Introduction to Dynamical Systems" by J.A. Yorke, K.T. Alligood, and T.D. Sauer.
DeadWolfe
I've learned the basic methods of ODEs but I'm looking for a more advanced book, covering things like limit cycles, existence and uniqeness thoerems, phase portraits, and so on.

Does anyone know of a good book for such topics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perko..."Differential Equations & Dynamical Systems

divides the book into 4 Chapters:intro, Local, Global and Bifurcation theory...Well written i think. And u can self-learn from that text...its what i did(though i was actulally enrolled in the class).

A Second Course in Elementary Differential Equations
author: Paul Waltman
ISBN: 0486434788
Dover Publications

Ordinary Differential Equations, by V.I. Arnold. I prefer the following
(old) edition if available, as it is cheaper, but anyone is ok.
Paperback: 270 pages
Publisher: The MIT Press (July 15, 1978)
ISBN: 0262510189

Lectures on Ordinary Differential Equations
Witold Hurewicz
Publisher: Dover Publications
Series: Dover Phoenix Editions Ser.

Thank you both.

As a second course, look at:

Chaos: An Introduction to Dynamical Systems (Textbooks in Mathematical Sciences S.) by J.A. Yorke, K.T. Alligood, T.D. Sauer

If you want something more hardcore, go for either:

Kuznetsov - Elements of Appied Bifurcation Theory

or

Gukenheimer and Holmes - Nonlinear Oscillations, Dynamical Systems and Bifurcations of Vector Fields

Both are from Springer.

you can see this page`:http://www.ma3n.org/pages/jazar/MaPage.html
and "ODE"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Good text for a second course on ODES?

1. What is an Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE)?

An Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on its current value and the rate at which it is changing. It is commonly used to model dynamic systems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What topics should be covered in a second course on ODEs?

A second course on ODEs typically covers more advanced topics such as systems of ODEs, series solutions, numerical methods, and applications of ODEs in various fields. It may also delve deeper into the theory and analysis of ODEs.

3. What are the key skills and prerequisites for a second course on ODEs?

A solid understanding of calculus, particularly differentiation and integration, is essential for a second course on ODEs. Some familiarity with linear algebra and basic differential equations is also helpful. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are important for success in this course.

4. How is a second course on ODEs different from a first course?

A first course on ODEs typically covers basic techniques for solving simple ODEs, while a second course delves deeper into more advanced methods and applications. It also assumes a higher level of mathematical maturity and a stronger foundation in calculus and differential equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of ODEs?

ODEs have numerous applications in physics, engineering, biology, economics, and other fields. Some specific examples include modeling population growth, predicting the motion of celestial bodies, analyzing electrical circuits, and studying chemical reactions.