Good software for writing chemistry (chemical equations)

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good program or software for writing chemical equations and redox reactions. The person mentions that Office Word is too slow for this task and they are struggling with compiling oxidation numbers on top of the elements. They ask if there is a chemistry-friendly program for writing these types of equations, and provide examples of reactions they want to format. They also mention using a stoichiometry calculator, which automatically balances reactions but does not deal with oxidation numbers.
christian0710
Hi, what's a good program/software for writing chemical equations, redox reactions etc. I find Office Word to be a bit slow for that (or perhaps it's my who is slow at using it :P ), And I'm having a difficult time compiling oxidation numbers on top of the elements.

Any chemistry friendly program for writing chemistry?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You mean formatting the reactions, like

12Na2SiO3.5H2O + 12NaAlO2 -> Na12(AlO2)12(SiO2)12.27H2O + 24NaOH + 21H2O

or

[tex]\textrm{Cr}_{2}\textrm{O}_{7}^{2-}+6\textrm{Fe}^{2+}+14\textrm{H}^{+}\rightarrow 2\textrm{Cr}^{3+}+6\textrm{Fe}^{3+}+7\textrm{H}_{2}\textrm{O}[/tex]

These were exported from my stoichiometry calculator and simply pasted into this post, but I am not sure that's what you are looking for. Besides, it doesn't deal with oxidation numbers (but it automatically balances reactions for you).

Related to Good software for writing chemistry (chemical equations)

1. What is the best software for writing chemical equations?

The best software for writing chemical equations is subjective and depends on personal preference and needs. Some popular options include ChemDraw, ChemOffice, ACD/ChemSketch, and MarvinSketch.

2. Is there any free software available for writing chemical equations?

Yes, there are several free options for writing chemical equations such as ChemSketch, MarvinSketch, and ChemDoodle.

3. Can I use Microsoft Word or Google Docs for writing chemical equations?

While Microsoft Word and Google Docs have some basic features for writing chemical equations, they are not specifically designed for this purpose. It is recommended to use specialized software for more accurate and efficient equation writing.

4. Are there any software programs that can check the accuracy of chemical equations?

Yes, some software programs have built-in functions for checking the accuracy of chemical equations. They can also identify any errors or inconsistencies in the equations.

5. Is it possible to draw chemical structures and equations using a mouse or touchpad?

Yes, most software programs have a drawing tool that allows users to draw chemical structures and equations using a mouse or touchpad. Some even have the option to use a stylus for more precise drawings.