Good Resources to learn Classical Thermodynamics

In summary: Basic Thermodynamics, by G. Carrington is a wonderful book. It introduces classical thermodynamics via a layered approach, each layer increasing in complexity with the book culminating in Gibbsian thermodynamics.My class is using the 8th edition by Moran, If I'm going to spend the money i want to get the best book to learn from for years to come. Would there be any issue with me skimping out and going with a cheaper, older, edition by cengel? If so which edition could I stand to buy?There would be no issue with you buying a cheaper, older edition of Çengel's textbook. Basic Thermodynamics, by G. Carrington is a wonderful
sdobradomacaco
Hi,
I'm currently taking thermodynamics in second year mechanical engineering. I read previous threads on here about good textbooks, and everyone seemed to agree that Cengel's book is really good. Its the book we use in class, but at times I don't think it explains everything as fully as it could. Does anyone know of any other good resources. What about learnthermo.com? Is made by someone who has taught engineering for over 18 years, but I want to be sure that it is good before committing to it. Suggestions and opinions would be great. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, sdobradomacaco!

You can never go wrong with Çengel's, it is a great textbook. However, if you feel like you need another textbook you can try Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith and Van Ness. Don't let the title deceive you, it is also suited for mechanical engineering majors.

I've never used LearnThermo, so I don't know if it's good, but I prefer a textbook over any online resource, any day. But that's just my opinion.

MexChemE said:
Welcome to PF, sdobradomacaco!

You can never go wrong with Çengel's, it is a great textbook. However, if you feel like you need another textbook you can try Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith and Van Ness. Don't let the title deceive you, it is also suited for mechanical engineering majors.

I've never used LearnThermo, so I don't know if it's good, but I prefer a textbook over any online resource, any day. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll be sure to look into that book for finals!

Likes MexChemE
What about Reif and Mandl?

Likes Geofleur
Basic Thermodynamics, by G. Carrington is a wonderful book. It introduces classical thermodynamics via a layered approach, each layer increasing in complexity with the book culminating in Gibbsian thermodynamics.

My class is using the 8th edition by Moran, If I'm going to spend the money i want to get the best book to learn from for years to come. Would there be any issue with me skimping out and going with a cheaper, older, edition by cengel? If so which edition could I stand to buy?

Related to Good Resources to learn Classical Thermodynamics

1. What is classical thermodynamics?

Classical thermodynamics is the study of the relationships between heat, work, and energy in systems that undergo physical or chemical changes.

2. Why is it important to learn classical thermodynamics?

Understanding classical thermodynamics is crucial for understanding how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems, including engines, power plants, and chemical reactions. It also forms the foundation for many other areas of science, such as chemistry and materials science.

3. What are some good resources to learn classical thermodynamics?

Some good resources for learning classical thermodynamics include textbooks, online courses, and lectures. Some recommended textbooks are "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Cengel and Boles, and "Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by Smith, Van Ness, and Abbott.

4. Are there any online resources available for learning classical thermodynamics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning classical thermodynamics, such as lectures and tutorials on YouTube, online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, and websites like Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of classical thermodynamics in real life?

Knowing classical thermodynamics can help you understand and analyze real-world systems, such as engines, refrigerators, and power plants. It can also be applied in industries like chemical engineering, where thermodynamics is used to design and optimize processes. Additionally, understanding thermodynamics can also help in making environmentally friendly and energy-efficient decisions.