Good resource for learning motion and rearranging formulas

In summary, the book is about how to apply various mechanics principles to real world problems. It is a heavy read, and is best split into three parts.
victorhugo
My class is currently doing thing like centripetal acceleration, momentum etc. and I am not quite getting it.
We are also meant to know how to rearrange and combine formulas really well, but I have missed a lot of algebra on previous years so I only know the basics... Can someone please reccomend me some links that explains these things? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to tell us what level you are in? High school? College?

There are lots of texts for this. A really introductory one might be Schaums Outline. Cheap, lots of worked examples. And on many different subjects.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071821813/?tag=pfamazon01-20

DEvens said:
You need to tell us what level you are in? High school? College?

There are lots of texts for this. A really introductory one might be Schaums Outline. Cheap, lots of worked examples. And on many different subjects.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071821813/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I am entering my last year of high school... I was thinking of a website that i can access for free

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps some Khan Academy videos? For higher-level mathematical learning, I wouldn't recommend it, but for brushing up on the basics of formula manipulation, I'd definitely suggest it.

The best way to go about it, is to get a general calculus based physics book. I would recommended Giancoli Physics for Scientist and Engineers. An older edition can be purchased for five dollars shipped.

Read the sections and ask why. Then follow the derivations and replicate them.

In my opinion, I liked to think of these Laws/Theorems as sets. Ie mathematical sets to simplify what i mean about sets. How do these things behave and interact with each other. What is possible and not possible. Then apply analogies to simplify the process.

Ofcourse their are better mechanics books such as Keppler, but these books are not recommended for your ability currently.

For example Centripetal Acceleration. We all know that acceleration is defined as the change in velocity over the change in time.

We know that velocity and acceleration is a vector. Then ask what is a vector? It is an object having both magnitude and direction.

However, we assume velocity=0. But hey wouldn't 0 velocity= acceleration? Not quite, since the velocity vector is changing direction, then acceleration must exist.

Then you draw the diagram that is given in your book. and notice that acceleration can be thought of as the hypotenuse of the 2 components of velocity making up the legs.

then so on.

if you follow the derivation in your book, you will understand why velocity= 2pie*r*f

and radial acceleration= v^2/r.Momentum can be described along a similar manner using the analogy of a car traveling in a positive direction.You want to actually understand and not plug and chug. If you have tried to understand how things are connected then it would be easier to understand the bigger picture. Doesn't matter if you got it wrong, but that you used brain cells trying to understand it.

Don't become a plug and chug robot.

Related to Good resource for learning motion and rearranging formulas

What is the best resource for learning about motion and rearranging formulas?

The best resource for learning about motion and rearranging formulas is typically a physics textbook or online course specifically focused on these topics. It is important to find a resource that provides clear explanations and practice problems to help solidify your understanding.

What are some common formulas used in motion and rearranging problems?

Some common formulas used in motion and rearranging problems include equations for velocity, acceleration, and distance. These can include the equations v = u + at, s = ut + 1/2at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2as, among others.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in motion?

Scalar quantities in motion refer to measurements that only have magnitude, such as speed or distance. Vector quantities, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or acceleration. It is important to understand the difference between these two types of quantities when working with motion formulas.

How can I rearrange a formula to solve for a different variable?

Rearranging a formula involves isolating the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation techniques, such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides of the equation by the same value. It may also involve using rules of exponents or logarithms.

What are some tips for effectively learning and understanding motion and rearranging formulas?

Some tips for effectively learning and understanding motion and rearranging formulas include practicing regularly with a variety of problems, seeking help from a teacher or tutor when needed, and making connections between different formulas and concepts. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to check your work for errors. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and principles behind the formulas can aid in retention and application.