Good opencourseware resource for Calculus 3?

In summary: I don't want to get overwhelmed and have to drop the class midway through.In summary, next semester I need to take Calc 3 to finish my AA, but our college will not be offering it at that time, though they know of an online course I can take. Since I know an online course is unlikely to provide the support needed to really get the material down, I am looking for a decent online resource to use in conjunction with the course. I found MIT's opencourseware to be a good resource, but I am open to any suggestions you all have.
Ascendant78
Next semester, I need to take Calc 3 to finish my AA. However, our college will not be offering it at that time, though they know of an online course I can take. Since I know an online course is unlikely to provide the support needed to really get the material down, I am looking for a decent online resource to use in conjunction with the course?

I took a look at what MIT opencourseware has. The results I kept getting directed to were "Multivariable Calculus," which I'm assuming is another name for the Calc 3 course? I just want to find a really good resource to ensure I can pull off an a despite lacking a classroom and instructor. I am open to any suggestions you all have. I have taught myself math in the past, and I know it takes a lot longer to learn on your own than with an instructor who can simplify the concepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Calc 3 is usually multivariable calculus. What does your college's description for Calc 3 say?

jtbell said:
Yes, Calc 3 is usually multivariable calculus. What does your college's description for Calc 3 say?

Thanks. As far as the description, I haven't seen it yet. It was only mentioned to me by my advisor. I asked her earlier today if she could e-mail me the name of the college and the name of the instructor so I can do some research into it. I figure I can see what resources the instructor uses as well as look into feedback about the instructor on "rate my professor."

jedishrfu said:
You might find help at Khan's Academy. His instructions are short and effective:

http://www.khanacademy.org/math/calculus

Thank you. I have seen this source before. My only problem with it is that it is not organized in a specific format designed to teach you like a typical course would. I'm sure I could use it in conjunction with the course by doing searches for specific topics, but it might prove to be difficult to find exactly what I'm looking for on that resource at any given point in the course.

MIT does not have three semesters of calculus. The traditional Calc I, II, III sequence is 18.01 and 18.02

Vanadium 50 said:
MIT does not have three semesters of calculus. The traditional Calc I, II, III sequence is 18.01 and 18.02

Thank you for the clarification. I think I might start taking a look at the course materials in another month or so once I get further into Calc II.

Related to Good opencourseware resource for Calculus 3?

1. What is an opencourseware resource for Calculus 3?

An opencourseware resource for Calculus 3 is a free online platform that provides educational materials, including lectures, notes, assignments, and exams, for students to learn Calculus 3 at their own pace.

2. Why is it important to have a good opencourseware resource for Calculus 3?

A good opencourseware resource for Calculus 3 can provide students with additional resources and practice materials to supplement their learning. It can also be a helpful tool for students who are struggling with the subject and need extra support.

3. How can I find a good opencourseware resource for Calculus 3?

There are many online platforms that offer opencourseware resources for Calculus 3, such as MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. You can also search for specific topics or keywords on search engines to find resources that best fit your needs.

4. Can I receive college credit for using an opencourseware resource for Calculus 3?

Most opencourseware resources do not offer college credit, but they can be a valuable supplement to your college coursework. Some platforms, like Coursera, offer certificate programs that can be used for professional development or continuing education.

5. Are opencourseware resources for Calculus 3 suitable for all levels of learning?

Opencourseware resources for Calculus 3 can vary in difficulty and depth of material. Some resources may be more suitable for beginners, while others may be geared towards advanced learners. It is important to do some research and find a resource that aligns with your current level of understanding.