Calculating Resistance of Aluminum Cylinder

• Thread starter Roary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, The problem involves finding the resistance between the top and bottom faces of a cylindrical tube made of aluminum. The given information includes the mass, shape, density, and resistivity values at standard temperature. The equation R = pl/A is suggested to be used, but the length is unknown. However, using the given information, the length can be found by using the formula for area of a circle. It is also clarified that the shape is a cylinder rather than a cylindrical tube.
Roary
Not an actual problem, but I'm not sure how to figure these out.

I am given the mass of a sample of aluminum. (Let's say it's 112g or something) I am given a shape: cylindrical tube, with the conditions that the diameter of the circular face = the height. (Also given, density of aluminum, a chart with the resistivity values, at standard temp of 20C). How on Earth would I find the resistance between the top and the bottom face of the shape?

Physics news on Phys.org
R = pl/A (Resistance = resistivity * length/area) is probably the equation to use. But I have no length? The mass given, and density can find the length somehow? (I would use area of a circle only correct?)

Last edited:
Is the shape a "cylindrical tube" or just a cylinder?

Since you haven't given a tube wall thickness I'm assuming you mean a cylinder.

But I have no length?
But you said,
diameter of the circular face = the height

What is the formula for calculating resistance of an aluminum cylinder?

The formula for calculating resistance of an aluminum cylinder is R = ρL/A, where R is resistance, ρ is the resistivity of aluminum, L is the length of the cylinder, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cylinder.

How do I determine the resistivity of aluminum?

The resistivity of aluminum can be found in a table or by using the formula ρ = RA/L, where ρ is resistivity, R is resistance, A is cross-sectional area, and L is length. The resistivity of aluminum is typically around 2.65 x 10^-8 Ωm.

What are the units of resistance?

The units of resistance are ohms (Ω). This unit is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current.

Can the resistance of an aluminum cylinder vary?

Yes, the resistance of an aluminum cylinder can vary depending on factors such as temperature, length, and cross-sectional area. The resistivity of aluminum also increases with temperature.

How does the resistance of an aluminum cylinder compare to other materials?

The resistance of an aluminum cylinder is relatively low compared to other materials such as copper or steel. This is due to the lower resistivity of aluminum. However, the resistance of an aluminum cylinder may be higher than other materials if it is longer or has a smaller cross-sectional area.