Good linera algebra books for beginners

In summary, Goldbeetle requested book recommendations for a beginner's guide to linear algebra and received suggestions for "Linear Algebra Demystified" by David McMahon and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. Other highly rated options can also be found on Amazon. The appropriate forum for this discussion is "science education" → "academic guidance" → "science book discussion".
Goldbeetle
Dear all,
I hope this is the right forum for such a question. Could you please give some references on book on linear algebra for absolute beginners (student with not a lot of math background).
Thanks.
Goldbeetle

Physics news on Phys.org
"Linear Algebra Demystified" by David McMahon. This book avoids abstract vector spaces and linear maps for the first few chapters, and instead teaches you the concrete computational side of linear algebra first.

I think the right forum is "science education" → "academic guidance" → "science book discussion".

I prefer the more abstract approach myself (e.g. Sheldon Axler: Linear algebra done right), but maybe that's because I know this stuff already. If you search for "linear algebra" at amazon.com, there are other books that have been given higher grades by the readers, so maybe you'd prefer one of them.

Related to Good linera algebra books for beginners

1. What are the key features to look for in a good linear algebra book for beginners?

A good linear algebra book for beginners should have a clear and concise writing style, a focus on fundamental concepts and applications, and a variety of practice problems for students to reinforce their understanding. It should also include visual aids, such as diagrams and illustrations, to help explain abstract concepts.

2. Are there any recommended books specifically for self-study?

Yes, some linear algebra books are specifically designed for self-study and include step-by-step explanations, worked examples, and self-assessment exercises. Some highly recommended titles for self-study include "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler.

3. Is it better to choose a book with a more theoretical or applied approach?

This depends on the individual's learning goals and background. A book with a more theoretical approach may be better for those planning to pursue advanced studies in mathematics or related fields. However, for those interested in applying linear algebra to real-world problems, a book with a more applied approach may be more suitable.

4. Can you recommend any online resources or supplemental materials to accompany a linear algebra book?

There are many online resources available to supplement a linear algebra book, such as video lectures, interactive demos, and practice problems with solutions. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Linear Algebra Toolkit. Additionally, some textbooks come with online access codes that provide additional practice problems and resources.

5. How do I determine the appropriate level of difficulty for a linear algebra book?

The appropriate level of difficulty will depend on your current knowledge and understanding of linear algebra. It is best to carefully read the book's description and reviews to get an idea of its difficulty level. Additionally, you can also look at the table of contents and sample chapters to get a better understanding of the topics covered and the level of detail provided.