What Is the Best Latex Software for Mac That Supports .doc and JPEG?

In summary: It's a bit more expensive, but it's worth it.In summary, LaTeX software is available for Macs, and two different methods are available for pasting equations into a .doc file.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured here would be the most appropriate.

Does anyone know of any good latex software for mac? Preferably one that allows me to save things in a .doc format.

If it can also allow me to drag and drop photos (jpeg/jpg) format inside of documents that would be an excellent plus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure why you would want to use .doc documents with LaTeX. And isn't .doc a windows thing anyway?

.doc is a Microsoft Word thing. Early versions of Word for Mac produced .doc files. Later versions produce .docx (which I'm pretty sure is true of Windows Word also).

@micro Yeah, I particularly need a .doc format though. I was curious to see if such software existed. Maybe a little programming project is in order.

I'm currently giving MacTex a try though, I'll see how that goes down.

I don't know of any latex editor that can make a .doc; it really doesn't make sense. LaTeX is basically programming code, like postscript. Now, you can sometimes convert stuff from one type to another, but .doc's are Word's way of doing text editing. It is limited by the fonts/methods built into the format/Word in what it can display.

One way to do what you want is to make a .doc with Word, but then use a LaTeX exporter to do the equations.

Like this : http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

Then just past these into your .doc.

The other way is to use packages that put LaTeX into Word as part of the editing.

http://latexinword.sourceforge.net/

http://texpoint.necula.org/

MacTex wasn't cutting it. It took up too much space and I found something better quickly afterwards.

Microsoft word for mac is lookin sexy though. I think I'll wind up sticking to this.

Tex Shop is my favorite MacTex compiler.

Related to What Is the Best Latex Software for Mac That Supports .doc and JPEG?

1. What is the best latex software for Mac?

The best latex software for Mac is subjective and depends on personal preference. However, some popular options include MacTeX, TeXShop, and LaTeXiT. It's important to research and try out different options to find the one that best suits your needs.

2. Is latex software for Mac free?

Yes, most latex software for Mac is free to use. Some options, like MacTeX, are open-source and completely free, while others may have a paid version with additional features. It's important to check the pricing and features of each software before making a decision.

3. Can I use latex software for Mac to create professional-looking documents?

Yes, latex software is specifically designed for creating high-quality documents, including scientific papers, reports, and presentations. With its advanced typesetting capabilities, you can easily create professional-looking documents with ease.

4. Is latex software for Mac user-friendly?

Latex software can have a steep learning curve for beginners due to its use of coding and markup language. However, many software options provide user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to make the learning process easier. With practice and familiarity, using latex software on a Mac can become second nature.

5. Can I collaborate with others using latex software on a Mac?

Yes, latex software allows for collaboration as it is based on a plain text file that can be easily shared and edited by multiple users. Some software even has built-in collaboration tools, making it easier to work on documents with others remotely.