Good graduate computational physics programs?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a search for graduate programs in computational physics, with a focus on programs in Canada and the US. The participants also discussed the importance of finding potential advisors who specialize in the specific field of computational research that interests the individual. Additionally, it was suggested to also consider programs in chemistry departments and computer science/applied math departments for similar work. The conversation ended with a request for recommendations on Canadian universities offering programs in computational physics or mathematics.
Jamesathon
Hi everyone!
I'm currently searching for good graduate computational physics programs, so if anyone can name a few, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same question.

I'm a masters student in computational physics in Canada. If you're looking for Canada I could maybe toss out a few schools/profs.

P.S. quantum specialization or astro?

I'd prefer the US. Quantum probably.

Well I'm quantum but I can't say I know the U.S. really. Was too expensive to even really consider

I would just suggest finding potential advisors who do computational research which interests you. There's a lot of different fields even within computational quantum physics (much electronic structure and simulation actually takes place in chemistry departments as well) so you're better off just finding people who you want to work with. There aren't many programs in the US that offer specialization in computational physics (USC's CACS is one of the few that comes to mind).

t!m brings up a good point. A lot of chem people do a lot of DFT stuff (density functional theory) which is very much computational physics so I wouldn't forget to peruse chem departments as well. Also, some schools will have computer science/applied math departments that will also do similar work.

I don't know how old this thread is but can someone give me the Canadian universities that offer programs in Computational Physics or Computational Mathematics? Thank you.

Related to Good graduate computational physics programs?

1. What is the benefit of attending a graduate computational physics program?

Attending a graduate computational physics program allows students to gain advanced knowledge and skills in computational physics, which is a rapidly growing field. This will make them competitive for high-paying jobs in various industries, such as technology, finance, and defense.

2. What makes a graduate computational physics program a good one?

A good graduate computational physics program should have a strong curriculum that covers a wide range of topics in computational physics, such as numerical methods, programming languages, and data analysis. It should also have a dedicated and experienced faculty, access to state-of-the-art computational facilities, and opportunities for research and collaboration.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for a graduate computational physics program?

Most graduate computational physics programs require a strong background in physics and mathematics, including courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and differential equations. Some programs may also require proficiency in programming languages, such as C++, Python, or Fortran.

4. Can I pursue a graduate computational physics program if I have a background in a different field?

While a background in physics or mathematics is typically preferred, many graduate computational physics programs welcome students from diverse backgrounds, such as engineering, chemistry, or computer science. However, these students may need to take additional courses to catch up on the necessary physics and mathematics knowledge.

5. What career options are available for graduates of a computational physics program?

Graduates of a computational physics program can pursue careers in various industries, such as technology, finance, aerospace, and defense. They can work as computational physicists, data scientists, software developers, or research scientists. They can also continue their education by pursuing a PhD in computational physics or a related field.