Good books on thermodynamics - intermediate

In summary, the student is looking for a suitable reference book for self-study for their grad school entrance exams in Physics. They have a grasp of fundamental Thermodynamics but not so much in Entropy and Ideal Gases. They are currently studying from Dittman & Zemensky's Thermodynamics but are looking for a book that is more focused on theory rather than experimental results. They are also interested in a book on Statistical Mechanics at their level. One recommendation is the book by Schroeder, which covers all the topics mentioned and is easy to follow.
svrphy
I am a student of B.Sc in Electronics. I was actually preparing for my grad school Entrance Exams in Physics & for that i needed to find a Suitable Reference book (Totally Self Study). I already have a grasp of fundamental Thermodynamics (not so much in Entropy :rolleyes:) and Ideal Gases. I have the following Syllabus at hand :(apart from what i Already Know)

Maxwell’s thermodynamic relations and simple applications. Thermodynamic potentials and their applications. Phase transitions and Clausius-Clapeyron equation. Ideas of ensembles, Maxwell-Boltzmann, Fermi- Dirac and Bose-Einstein distributions.

Presently I'm Studying From Dittman & Zemensky's Thermodynamics. The Problem is It Contains Far too many Experimental Results on which they base further sections of the Theory. This doesn't Go down well with me because i don't have any lab Exposure in this Subject (I'm from Electronics like i said) and hence don't have any attachment towards studying the Experimental Aspects.

Please Suggest a book of my Level & type.

PS : For the Sake of my own Knowledge i'd also like to know of a Book on Statistical Mechanics on my level.

Physics news on Phys.org
any help ??

I did a junior level course in Thermal this past spring. The text we used was by Schroeder: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201380277/?tag=pfamazon01-20
ISBN: 0201380277
I basically self-studied for the course and did well on the exams. The author explains the material simply, and it's an easy book to follow. It covers everything you've listed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear student,

Thank you for your inquiry about suitable reference books for intermediate thermodynamics. It is great to see that you are preparing for your grad school entrance exams and taking the initiative to find a suitable book for self-study.

Based on the syllabus you have provided, I would recommend the following books for intermediate thermodynamics:

1. "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Michael A. Boles - This book is suitable for students with a background in engineering and covers topics such as thermodynamic relations, thermodynamic potentials, and phase transitions. It also includes practical examples and applications that may be helpful for your entrance exams.

2. "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" by Herbert B. Callen - This book is a classic in the field of thermodynamics and provides a rigorous treatment of the subject with a focus on the fundamental principles. It covers topics such as thermodynamic potentials, phase transitions, and ensembles in detail.

For your interest in statistical mechanics, I would recommend the following book:

"Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria - This book is suitable for students at the intermediate level and covers topics such as Maxwell-Boltzmann, Fermi-Dirac, and Bose-Einstein distributions. It also includes applications and examples to help you understand the concepts better.

I understand your concern about the experimental aspect of thermodynamics and how it may not align with your background in electronics. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of experimental results in thermodynamics as they form the basis of the theoretical concepts. You may find it helpful to consult with your professors or peers who have a background in physics or chemistry to gain a better understanding of these experimental results.

I hope these recommendations help you in your preparation for your entrance exams. All the best!

Related to Good books on thermodynamics - intermediate

1. What are some recommended intermediate level books on thermodynamics?

Some popular books on thermodynamics for intermediate level students include "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Çengel and Michael A. Boles, "Introduction to Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer" by Frank P. Incropera and David P. DeWitt, and "Thermodynamics: Concepts and Applications" by Stephen R. Turns.

2. How do I choose the right book for my level of understanding?

When choosing a book on thermodynamics, it is important to consider your current level of understanding and the level of the book. Look for books that clearly state their intended audience and have a table of contents that matches your knowledge and skills.

3. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials that can help with understanding thermodynamics?

Yes, many of the recommended books on thermodynamics have accompanying websites or online resources that provide additional practice problems, study guides, and interactive simulations to aid in understanding the concepts.

4. Are there any books that focus specifically on practical applications of thermodynamics?

Yes, "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus A. Çengel and Michael A. Boles and "Introduction to Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer" by Frank P. Incropera and David P. DeWitt both have sections dedicated to practical applications and real-world examples.

5. Can I find any free resources or textbooks on thermodynamics?

Yes, there are several open-source thermodynamics textbooks available online, such as "Fundamentals of Thermodynamics" by J. P. O'Connell and "Thermodynamics and Chemistry" by Howard DeVoe. However, it is always recommended to supplement these resources with a physical textbook for better understanding and practice problems.