Good Beginner Quantum Mechanics

In summary, for a motivated high school student, it is recommended to start with books on vectors and multivariate calculus before moving on to more advanced topics like differential calculus and integration. The book "Calculus and Analytic Geometry" by George B Thomas is a good resource for this progression, and then one can look into the Griffiths text for further understanding.
connorp
Math level is through the first year of calculus, so differential calculus. I want a book with some math in it and wouldn't object to one where it would explain key concepts (likely linear algebra). I've heard Griffiths text is good but not sure how good for a motivated high school student. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think first it will be better to pick up some books on vectors and multivariate calculus.

I agree with TheAustrian. First do some vector calculus and multivariable calculus.I think Calculus and Analytic Geometry by George B Thomas will be fine. Then look forwards to Griffiths.

- Modest Learner

Connorp, does this mean you haven't done integration? Integration is pretty difficult compared to the earlier math so you'll want to start there, learn it very well indeed. That Thomas book recommended by Modest Learner will be a good way to proceed.

I would highly recommend Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" as a great beginner's text for someone with a math background through the first year of calculus. This text does a great job of explaining key concepts in quantum mechanics, including the necessary linear algebra, in a clear and accessible way. It also includes plenty of mathematical examples and exercises to help solidify understanding. It may be challenging for a high school student, but with motivation and a strong foundation in math, it is definitely doable. Other recommended texts include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David Miller. Whichever text you choose, make sure to supplement your reading with plenty of practice problems and seek help from a qualified instructor if needed. Good luck on your journey into quantum mechanics!

Related to Good Beginner Quantum Mechanics

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles interact and behave, and has led to many technological advancements such as transistors and lasers.

Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it is the foundation of our understanding of the physical world at a microscopic level. It allows us to explain and predict the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles, which is crucial for many modern technologies.

What are the key principles of quantum mechanics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics include wave-particle duality, superposition, and uncertainty. Wave-particle duality means that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. Superposition is the idea that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously. Uncertainty refers to the fact that we cannot simultaneously know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

How can I learn quantum mechanics as a beginner?

There are many resources available for beginners to learn quantum mechanics, including online courses, textbooks, and videos. It is important to have a solid understanding of mathematics, specifically linear algebra and calculus, before diving into quantum mechanics. It may also be helpful to start with simpler concepts and gradually build up to more complex ones.

What are some real-life applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many real-life applications, including transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. Additionally, our understanding of quantum mechanics has led to advancements in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.