Good and easy mathematical logic book for computer science

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between mathematical logic and computer science, with one person asking for a book recommendation to learn more about the topic. The other person then provides a brief overview of the logical operators commonly used in programming languages and recommends a book for further reading.
Byeonggon Lee
Hello I recently noticed that mathematical logic is related to computer science.
I haven't studied math in university yet I'm not good at math and Since I'm not a native English speaker some English is hard to me.
Is there any good and easy book which describes mathematical logic used in computer science?

Technology news on Phys.org
Very little mathematical logic is used in computer science, in my experience. The logical operators that are most common are these:
Not - logical negation of a boolean expression
And - expr1 "and" expr2 is true if and only if both subexpressions are true
Or - expr1 "or" expr2 is true if expr1 is true, or if expr2 is true, or if both are true
Xor (AKA exclusive or) - expr1 "xor" expr2 is true if the two subexpressions have opposite truth values

Most programming languages have these concepts, but they use different symbols. For example, C and the languages based on C use ~ for NOT, && for logical AND, || for logical OR, and ^ for exclusive OR. Newer versions of Fortran use .NOT., .AND., .OR. I don't believe Fortran has an exclusive or operator, per se, but its .NEQV. operator works similarly.

Related to Good and easy mathematical logic book for computer science

1. What makes a mathematical logic book "good" for computer science?

A good mathematical logic book for computer science should cover the necessary concepts and principles in a clear and concise manner. It should also provide relevant examples and exercises that help students understand and apply the concepts to real-world problems. Additionally, a good book should have a logical structure and be easy to follow, with a good balance between theory and practical applications.

2. Why is it important for computer scientists to have a strong understanding of mathematical logic?

Mathematical logic is the foundation of computer science, as it provides the necessary tools and techniques for solving complex problems and developing efficient algorithms. It also helps computer scientists to think critically and logically, which is essential for designing and analyzing computer systems and programs.

3. Is prior knowledge of mathematics required to understand a mathematical logic book for computer science?

Some basic knowledge of mathematics, such as algebra and set theory, is helpful in understanding mathematical logic. However, a good mathematical logic book for computer science should provide a comprehensive overview of the necessary mathematical concepts and principles, making it accessible to students with varying levels of mathematical background.

4. How can I determine if a mathematical logic book is suitable for beginners in computer science?

A good way to determine if a mathematical logic book is suitable for beginners is to look at the level of difficulty and the target audience in the book's description. Books that are specifically designed for beginners or introductory courses in computer science would be a good choice. It is also helpful to check the table of contents and sample chapters to get an idea of the book's content and style.

5. Are there any recommended mathematical logic books for computer science that are also easy to understand?

There are several highly recommended mathematical logic books for computer science, such as "Introduction to Mathematical Logic" by Elliott Mendelson and "Mathematical Logic for Computer Science" by Mordechai Ben-Ari. Both of these books are written in a clear and accessible manner, making them suitable for beginners in computer science.