Golf Physics Problem: Calculate Range of Initial Velocities

In summary, the problem discusses the difficulty of achieving a desired distance for a putt in the game of golf. It presents an uphill and downhill lie scenario and asks for the allowable range of initial velocities that will allow the ball to stop within 1m of the cup. Using the given acceleration values, the ranges for both scenarios are calculated and it is evident that the downhill putt requires a smaller range of initial velocities, indicating that it is more difficult to control the distance of the ball. This is due to the difference in kinetic energy needed for each scenario.
ldbaseball16

Homework Statement

In putting, the force with which a golfer strikes a ball is planned so that the ball will stop within some small distance of the cup,say,1m long or short, in case the putt is missed. Acomplishing this from an uphill lie is more difficult than from adownhill lie . to see why, assume that on a particular green the ball deccelerates constantly at 2.0m/s^2 going downhill, and constantly at 3.0 m/s^2 going hill. suppose we have an uphill lie 7.0m from the cup. calculate the allowable range of initial velocities we may impart to the ball so that it stops in the range 1.0m short to 1.0m long of the cup. do the same for downhill lie 7.0m from the cup. what in your results suggests that the downhill putt is more difficult?

Homework Equations

V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure how to approach this problem because I am not sure what it is asking me I am not sure what what"calculate the allowable range of initial velocities is? does that mean calculate the range?, initial veocities, or both?

Physics news on Phys.org
ldbaseball16 said:

Homework Statement

In putting, the force with which a golfer strikes a ball is planned so that the ball will stop within some small distance of the cup,say,1m long or short, in case the putt is missed. Acomplishing this from an uphill lie is more difficult than from adownhill lie . to see why, assume that on a particular green the ball deccelerates constantly at 2.0m/s^2 going downhill, and constantly at 3.0 m/s^2 going hill. suppose we have an uphill lie 7.0m from the cup. calculate the allowable range of initial velocities we may impart to the ball so that it stops in the range 1.0m short to 1.0m long of the cup. do the same for downhill lie 7.0m from the cup. what in your results suggests that the downhill putt is more difficult?

Homework Equations

V^2=Vo^2+2a(X-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure how to approach this problem because I am not sure what it is asking me I am not sure what what"calculate the allowable range of initial velocities is? does that mean calculate the range?, initial veocities, or both?

Using the numbers given in the problem calculate the extremes of the ranges (7m +/- 1m) for where the ball will end up in the equation you cited. Of course in your case Vf will be 0.

What does the range in Vi2 tell you?

Since you are imparting kinetic energy to the ball with the blade of your putter that is proportional to Vi2 then maybe you can get at what the problem is trying to relate by examining the difference between the kinetic energy needed in each case?

Additionally, I am not sure what the 1m short or long range is referring to. Is it the range of distances from the cup that the ball can stop in? Without a clear understanding of the problem, I am unable to provide a solution. Can you please provide more context and clarification?

Related to Golf Physics Problem: Calculate Range of Initial Velocities

1. What is the equation for calculating the range of initial velocities in a golf physics problem?

The equation for calculating the range of initial velocities in a golf physics problem is: R = v2sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I determine the launch angle in a golf physics problem?

The launch angle in a golf physics problem can be determined by using the equation: θ = tan-1(h/R), where θ is the launch angle, h is the height of the golf ball at its highest point, and R is the range of the golf ball.

3. Can the range of initial velocities in a golf physics problem be negative?

No, the range of initial velocities in a golf physics problem cannot be negative. This is because the range is a measure of horizontal distance, and negative values do not have a physical meaning in this context.

4. How does air resistance affect the range of initial velocities in a golf physics problem?

Air resistance can significantly impact the range of initial velocities in a golf physics problem. As the golf ball travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which decreases its range. This force is dependent on the velocity of the ball, its cross-sectional area, and the density of the air.

5. Is it possible to calculate the range of initial velocities in a golf physics problem without knowing the height of the golf ball?

No, the height of the golf ball is a crucial component in calculating the range of initial velocities in a golf physics problem. Without knowing the height, the launch angle cannot be determined, and thus the range cannot be accurately calculated.