Golf ball question, kinematics

In summary, the problem involves a golf ball passing over a 20m high tree and landing 100m past it. The question is asking for the original velocity, speed, and direction of the ball's stroke, taking into account only the force of gravity. Using kinematic equations, we can determine the unknowns of time, angle, and initial velocity. However, we need one more equation to solve for these unknowns. We can use the fact that the ball eventually lands 100m past the tree to create two more equations and solve for the remaining unknowns.
devanlevin
a golf ball passes on its course exactly over the top of a tree standing 20m high and 40m away from the tee, the ball eventually lands 100m past the tree. what is the original velocity, speed and direction, of the stroke?

this is a question in kinematics and the only force to take into account is gravity,

using
V(t)=Vo+at
X(t)=Xo+Vot+½at²
V²-Vo²=2aΔx

Vx=const=cosθ*Vo
Vy(t)=sinθ*Vo+at

knowing that the ball passed through (40,20) i use the equation for X,
X(t)=40m=cosθ*Vo*t
t=40/cosθ*Vo

Y(t)=20m=sinθ*Vo*(40/cosθ*Vo)-4.9(40/cosθ*Vo)²
=40*tanθ-4.9(40/cosθ*Vo)²

now from here i don't know what to do, one equation with both values i need to find, θ and Vo, have i overlooked something, done something wrong or used the wrong equations for the case?

hope my english and the terms i used are correct, it is a question i have had to translate, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
devanlevin said:
i don't know what to do, one equation with both values i need to find…

Hi devanlevin! :smile:

(btw, the English was fine, except just say "a golf ball passes exactly over the top of a tree …" :smile: )

Yes, you're right … you need one more equation …

you haven't used:
the ball eventually lands 100m past the tree

how can i work this into get an answer??

devanlevin said:
how can i work this into get an answer??

Just do it!

You'll have two more equations, and only one more unknown (t2). :smile:

(it may … or may not … help to note that the maximum height is after 50 m horizontally)

Related to Golf ball question, kinematics

1. What is the relationship between the speed of a golf ball and its distance traveled?

The speed of a golf ball directly affects the distance it travels. The faster the ball is moving, the farther it will travel. This is due to the laws of kinematics, which state that an object's velocity is directly proportional to its displacement.

2. How does the angle of the golf club affect the trajectory of the golf ball?

The angle of the golf club at impact determines the initial angle of the ball's trajectory. A flatter clubface will result in a lower trajectory, while a more angled clubface will result in a higher trajectory. This is because the angle of the club affects the initial velocity and launch angle of the ball.

3. What role does air resistance play in the flight of a golf ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in the flight of a golf ball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences air resistance, which slows it down. This affects the distance and trajectory of the ball, as well as the amount of spin it can maintain.

4. How does the dimpled surface of a golf ball affect its flight?

The dimpled surface of a golf ball creates a thin layer of turbulent air around the ball, reducing drag and allowing it to travel farther. This is because the dimples create a smaller wake behind the ball, reducing the amount of air resistance it experiences. This effect is known as the Magnus effect.

5. Can the distance a golf ball travels be accurately predicted using kinematics?

While kinematics can provide a general understanding of the factors that affect the distance a golf ball travels, it cannot accurately predict the exact distance. This is because there are many variables involved, such as wind, temperature, and the golfer's swing technique, that can affect the ball's flight. Other factors such as elevation changes and the condition of the golf course can also impact the distance the ball travels.