Golf Ball Question: How Far Does It Travel?

• Thread starter qswdefrg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Golf
In summary, a golf ball is hit at 40 m/s and an angle of 45 degrees from the freeway. After bouncing off the ground, it loses 75% of its speed and continues to bounce at the same angle. Using kinematics equations, the displacement of the ball cannot be calculated without knowing acceleration or time. However, if the acceleration is assumed to be -9.8 m/s^2, the displacement can be calculated by repeating the calculation until the final velocity is 0 and adding up all the displacements.
qswdefrg

Homework Statement

A golf ball is hit from the freeway at a speed of 40 m/s and an angle of 45 degrees. Upon hitting the ground the ball bounces off the ground at the same angle but loses 75% of its speed on each bounce. How far does the ball travel before stopping?

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried breaking the problem into components. Then I realized both x- and y- components of velocity are the same. I'm stuck because I can't exactly sub values into the kinematics equations to find displacement, seeing that I'm not given acceleration nor time.

Any sort of help/hint would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If a = -9.8 m/s^2, then I'd be able to calculate dy... so would I have to repeat this calculation until v2 = 0 and add up all the displacements? Or is there an simpler method?

Related to Golf Ball Question: How Far Does It Travel?

1. How is the distance of a golf ball's travel determined?

The distance of a golf ball's travel is determined by a combination of factors, including the initial speed and angle of the ball, as well as the wind conditions and the type of golf club used. The distance can also be affected by the aerodynamics and construction of the golf ball itself.

2. What is the average distance a golf ball travels?

The average distance a golf ball travels can vary depending on the skill level and physical abilities of the golfer, as well as the factors mentioned above. However, on average, a professional golfer can hit a golf ball around 280-320 yards, while an amateur golfer may hit around 200-250 yards.

3. How can I increase the distance of my golf ball's travel?

To increase the distance of your golf ball's travel, you can work on improving your swing speed and technique, as well as using a golf club with a lower loft angle. Additionally, using a golf ball with a higher compression rating can also help increase distance for more experienced golfers.

4. Can weather conditions affect the distance a golf ball travels?

Yes, weather conditions such as wind, temperature, and humidity can all affect the distance a golf ball travels. Strong winds can either push or hinder the ball's trajectory, while colder temperatures can make the ball less bouncy and affect its flight.

5. What is the maximum distance a golf ball can travel?

The maximum distance a golf ball can travel is limited by the laws of physics and the capabilities of the golfer. In ideal conditions, a golf ball can travel up to around 400 yards, but this is rare and requires an extremely skilled golfer with optimal swing speed and technique.