Goldfish bowl index of refraction

In summary, the index of refraction for the walls of the aquarium is being solved for, given that the walls appear thinner to a fish inside. The magnification formula is used to determine the value of m, and then it is plugged into the equation for the index of refraction. It is not clear what values to use for R, s, and s', so further clarification is needed.
tiger1

Homework Statement

To a fish in an aquarium, the 4.30 mm-thick walls appear to be only 3.10 mm thick.
What is the index of refraction of the walls?

Homework Equations

m=-s'/s
n_1/s + n_2 / s' = (n_2-n_1)/R
m: magnification
s: object distance
s': image distance

The Attempt at a Solution

m=(3.1/4.3)=.72
m=-s'/s
n_1/s + n_2 / s' = (n_2-n_1)/R
1.33/s + n_2/s' = (n_2-1.33)/R

I'm not sure what R, s, or s' would be.
If I plug in the numbers I received from determing the magnification, I receive this:

1.33/4.33 + n_2/3.1 = (n_2 - 1/33)/R

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this is the correct equation to solve for the index of refraction or if I'm missing something. Any help is appreciated.

I cannot determine the index of refraction without knowing the values for R, s, and s'. The given information does not provide enough information to solve for these parameters. Additionally, the equations used in the attempt at a solution are not directly applicable to this situation. The index of refraction is a property of the material the light is passing through, not the magnification of the image. Therefore, without further information, it is not possible to determine the index of refraction of the walls in this scenario.

Related to Goldfish bowl index of refraction

1. What is the goldfish bowl index of refraction?

The goldfish bowl index of refraction, also known as the "fish tank phenomenon," refers to the visual distortion that occurs when viewing objects through a curved surface, such as a fish bowl. This distortion is caused by the bending of light as it passes through the curved surface.

2. Why is the goldfish bowl index of refraction important in science?

The goldfish bowl index of refraction is important in science because it demonstrates the principles of optics and light refraction. It also serves as a real-life example of how the shape of a surface can affect the way we see objects through it.

3. How is the goldfish bowl index of refraction calculated?

The goldfish bowl index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the medium. This value is known as the refractive index and can vary depending on the material the light is passing through.

4. Can the goldfish bowl index of refraction be manipulated?

Yes, the goldfish bowl index of refraction can be manipulated by changing the material or curvature of the surface through which the light is passing. This can be observed by using different types of containers, such as a glass bowl or a plastic bottle, and noting the differences in the visual distortion.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the goldfish bowl index of refraction?

Yes, the goldfish bowl index of refraction has real-world applications in fields such as optics and engineering. Understanding how light behaves when passing through different materials and surfaces is crucial in the design and development of lenses and other optical devices.