Golden Book of chemistry is free

In summary, there is a common belief that the book "The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments" was banned by the US government and removed from school libraries. However, there is no concrete evidence to support this claim and it is likely an urban legend. Despite this, the book is still widely available for free download.
DennisR
Link deleted by mentor

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I had no idea they were banning books like this. I just thought they were letting them go out of print. At any rate, modern books do seem exceptionally sanitized compared to the old ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something from one of the comments at the Amazon link:

It is commonly reported that this book was banned by the US government, and pulled from all school library shelves. I have not yet seen any documentation of this report, so I suspect it is an urban legend.

Few years ago pdf version was pretty easy to locate.

Is there any evidence it was banned? Much less "unbanned"?

Vanadium 50 said:
Is there any evidence it was banned? Much less "unbanned"?
I googled for many pages and couldn't find any evidence of any government or school system or public library system banning it. The notion it is a "banned book" is repeated over and over and over again though. About a third of links call that notion into question. It doesn't seem like anyone has any information on the origin of that idea/rumor.

Related to Golden Book of chemistry is free

What is the Golden Book of Chemistry?

The Golden Book of Chemistry is a comprehensive textbook that covers various topics in chemistry, including atomic theory, chemical reactions, and the periodic table.

Is the Golden Book of Chemistry available for free?

Yes, the Golden Book of Chemistry is available for free on various websites and online platforms. It is also available for purchase in print form.

Who wrote the Golden Book of Chemistry?

The Golden Book of Chemistry was written by the chemist and educator, Robert Brent.

What level of education is the Golden Book of Chemistry suitable for?

The Golden Book of Chemistry is suitable for students at the high school and college level, as well as anyone interested in learning more about chemistry.

What topics are covered in the Golden Book of Chemistry?

The Golden Book of Chemistry covers a wide range of topics, including the properties of matter, chemical reactions, elements and compounds, acids and bases, and organic chemistry.