Pipeline Path and Town Radius: Do I Need to Reroute? | Explanation Included

• Thread starter ireallyneedhelp
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking if a pipeline following the path y=2x+20 needs to be rerouted due to a town centered at T(50,0) with a radius of 5km and a state law requiring pipelines to be at least 50km away from towns. To solve this, one can find the distance between a point and a line using an equation or by drawing a line perpendicular to the line and finding its length. The slope of the pipeline can be found, and using the fact that a perpendicular line has a slope that is the negative reciprocal of the original line, the equation for the perpendicular line can be found. By solving the equations for the two lines, the point of intersection can be found,
ireallyneedhelp
I need help with this simple question!

Can some please explain to me on how to solve this problem?

A pipeline follows a path given by y=2x + 20. A town is centered at
T(50,0) and has a radius of 5km. By state law pipelines must be 50 km's away from towns. Does this pipe need to be rerouted? Explain.

Please I really need help wiht this question! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This should probably be in the homework help section.

Anyways, can you show us what you've gotten on your own?

I will give you a little push.
First of all, you might find a redy-to-use equation to find the distance between a point and line in some book, if you don't here is what you can do.
The distance between a point and a line (call it line1) is the length of a line (call it line2) vertical on line1 and with one side on line1 and the other side on the point (try to draw it to understand what i mean)
First of all, find the slope of the pipeline (line1).
Now, if we find the slope of line2, we would be able to find the equation that represents line2 (you know how to find a line equation knowning its slope and a point that it goes through ?).
To find the slope of line2, remember that it is vertical on line1, and therefore m1*m2=-1 (where m1 is the slope of line1, m2 is the slope of line2).
Now that you have the equation of line2, you can find the point at which line1 and line2 cross each other (just solve both equations for the unknown x and y).
Now use phytagorean theory to find the distance between the target point, and the point of crossing between line1 and line2.

What is a pipeline path and town radius?

A pipeline path refers to the route taken by a pipeline to transport fluids or gases. The town radius is the distance from a town or city in which the pipeline is located.

Why do I need to reroute a pipeline?

Rerouting a pipeline may be necessary for various reasons such as avoiding damage to the pipeline, minimizing environmental impact, complying with regulations, or accommodating new developments in the area.

How do I determine if I need to reroute my pipeline?

A thorough assessment of the current pipeline path and town radius is needed to determine if rerouting is necessary. Factors to consider include potential risks, environmental impact, and compliance with regulations.

Who is responsible for deciding to reroute a pipeline?

The decision to reroute a pipeline is typically made by a team of experts including engineers, environmentalists, and regulatory officials. The pipeline operator may also have a say in the decision.

What are the potential consequences of not rerouting a pipeline?

Not rerouting a pipeline could result in damage to the pipeline, harm to the environment, or violation of regulations. It could also lead to costly repairs or legal consequences.