Mars Closest to Earth: Latest News & Mission Plans

In summary, three different Mars missions are launching this month. The closest path to Mars will happen in August, and the article mentioned that it happens either once in 200 or once in 200,000 years.
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I hope this is not a duplicate topic, if it is, I apologize...

I watched on science news the other night that Mars is to venture its closest to Earth then most people will see for a long while...and also a mission is planned to land on mars...any news, topics already started or info on this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Kerrie
...and also a mission is planned to land on mars...any news, topics already started or info on this?

The mission carries two landers with rovers onboard. The Mars Exploration Rover mission (MER) is a two-vehicle program. These two rovers have been named "Spirit" and "Opportunity" by a 9-year-old girl. Spirit launched on June 10th, and is proceeding as planned. You can check on its progress at the mission's homepage by clicking on the "Where is Spirit Now?" link (I check it every day).

Pretty exiting stuff!

i heard (just a rumor!) that NASA is thinking about putting a man on Mars in 2013. (providing the war budget doesn't kill us)

Greetings !

If I remember correctly there are 3 Mars missions (two
NASA and one ESA)launching this month. Also about the
closest path to Mars it will happen in August and we'll
be about 35 million miles or 56 million kilometers away
(the article I read says it happens either once in
200 or once in 200,000 years, sorry I forgot that part ).

maximus, I don't think so but we'd all wish it was so...:frown:

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
Greetings !

If I remember correctly there are 3 Mars missions (two
NASA and one ESA)launching this month.

Yes ESA's mission is called "Mars Exrpess". It launched on June 2nd and will arrive at the red planet Dec. 24th (I want extraterrestrial photos for Christmass!) . Spirit will get there Jan 4th, and Opportunity on Jan 25th.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/18jun_approachingmars.htm?list856667

Last edited by a moderator:

1. When will Mars be closest to Earth?

Mars and Earth have elliptical orbits, meaning that their distance from each other is constantly changing. However, the closest approach of Mars to Earth occurs every 26 months. The next closest approach will be in October 2020, with a distance of approximately 38.6 million miles.

2. Why is it important for scientists to study Mars when it is closest to Earth?

When Mars is closest to Earth, it is at its brightest and largest, making it easier for scientists to observe and study its surface and atmosphere. This allows for more detailed research and data collection, which can help us better understand the red planet and its potential for supporting life.

3. What missions are planned for when Mars is closest to Earth?

NASA and other space agencies often plan missions to Mars during its closest approach to Earth. In 2020, NASA is launching the Mars 2020 rover, which will study the planet's geology and search for signs of past microbial life. Other missions planned for this time include the ExoMars rover by the European Space Agency and the Mars Orbiter Mission by the Indian Space Research Organisation.

4. How long does it take to travel to Mars when it is closest to Earth?

The travel time to Mars depends on the relative positions of the two planets at the time. When Mars is closest to Earth, the travel time can be as short as 6 months using current spacecraft technology. However, the distance can vary, with the farthest approach being around 250 million miles, which would require a longer travel time.

5. Will there ever be a time when Mars is closer to Earth than it is now?

Mars' orbit is constantly changing, and at some points in its orbit, it can come closer to Earth than it currently is. However, this is not a regular occurrence, and the closest approach will not be as close as it is now for another 15-17 years. This is due to the planets' orbits gradually shifting over time.