GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help

In summary: The result becomes y = 16squareroot2(i don't know how to make the squareroot brackets.) This I understand though.
gohabsgo
I don't want to keep making threads when I come across some puzzling algebra concepts or problems, so I'll just use this thread as a reference point in the future when this may happen.

I'm having trouble understanding the following:
1/x3 = -1 The author of my text says to cross multiply and yield the answer: x3 = -1 What am I missing here? I thought by cross multiplying x3 became -x3. For example, another piece of this larger equation has me cross multiply 2/x3 = 3 which yields 3x3 = 2. What step have I forgotten here in the cross multiplication that isn't changing the x3 negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it matter? How is x3 = -1 any different from -x3 = 1?

gohabsgo said:
I don't want to keep making threads when I come across some puzzling algebra concepts or problems, so I'll just use this thread as a reference point in the future when this may happen.

I'm having trouble understanding the following:
1/x3 = -1 The author of my text says to cross multiply and yield the answer: x3 = -1 What am I missing here? I thought by cross multiplying x3 became -x3. For example, another piece of this larger equation has me cross multiply 2/x3 = 3 which yields 3x3 = 2. What step have I forgotten here in the cross multiplication that isn't changing the x3 negative?

What the author is doing here is multiplying both sides of the equation by x3. This yields a new equation, 1 = -x3, or equivalently, x3 = -1.

Mark44 said:
What the author is doing here is multiplying both sides of the equation by x3. This yields a new equation, 1 = -x3, or equivalently, x3 = -1.
The embarrassing thing about this is that I'm not understanding how 1 = -x3 is equivalent to the x3 = -1. Because I can't use the first equation in the Multiplication Property of Zero. I eventually have to take the cubed root of -1, yielding -1. If I take the cubed root of 1, I get 1. To be clear on everything, I'm solving for 2x-6 -x-3 -3 = 0 if that helps. The two answers the author leaves in the book are x= the cubed root of 2/3 and x= -1. I believe I'm over-thinking everything.

If you multiply both sides of an equation by a nonzero number, you get a new equation that is equivalent to the first equation. "Equivalent to" means that both equations have exactly the same solutions sets.

gohabsgo said:
The embarrassing thing about this is that I'm not understanding how 1 = -x3 is equivalent to the x3 = -1. Because I can't use the first equation in the Multiplication Property of Zero. I eventually have to take the cubed root of -1, yielding -1. If I take the cubed root of 1, I get 1. To be clear on everything, I'm solving for 2x-6 -x-3 -3 = 0 if that helps. The two answers the author leaves in the book are x= the cubed root of 2/3 and x= -1. I believe I'm over-thinking everything.

You multiply both sides of the equation by -1:
[tex]\begin{aligned}
1 &= -x^3 \\
(-1)(1) &= (-1)(-x^3) \\
-1 &= x^3
\end{aligned}[/tex]

Mark44 said:
If you multiply both sides of an equation by a nonzero number, you get a new equation that is equivalent to the first equation. "Equivalent to" means that both equations have exactly the same solutions sets.

eumyang said:
You multiply both sides of the equation by -1:
[tex]\begin{aligned}
1 &= -x^3 \\
(-1)(1) &= (-1)(-x^3) \\
-1 &= x^3
\end{aligned}[/tex]

Thanks Mark and Eumyang! I can't believe I forgot about that! I sometimes forget such small concepts when learning new ways to work equations. :blushing:

Ok guys and gals, I'm getting stumped, again, on the following small problem. Hopefully I've written everything out with clarity to explain why I'm confused.

y2/3 - 8 = 0

y2/3 = 8

(y2/3)3/2 = 83/2

I'm getting confused after these steps. My book gives the following:

y=(23)3/2 : Firstly, why was the cube root be taken from 8 resulting in 83 with 3/2 outside the brackets?

Anyways, from there I understand that it becomes 29/2.

However I become discombobulated when the following is given: 24 X 21/2. What just happened here?

The result becomes y = 16squareroot2(i don't know how to make the squareroot brackets.) This I understand though. It's those two areas above that are stumping me, as I can't seem to ever recall doing other problems like this.

gohabsgo said:
Ok guys and gals, I'm getting stumped, again, on the following small problem. Hopefully I've written everything out with clarity to explain why I'm confused.

y2/3 - 8 = 0

y2/3 = 8

(y2/3)3/2 = 83/2

I'm getting confused after these steps. My book gives the following:

y=(23)3/2 : Firstly, why was the cube root be taken from 8 resulting in 83 with 3/2 outside the brackets?
Your question doesn't make sense. Starting with
y2/3 = 8
they raised each side to the 3/2 power. This resulted in
(y2/3)3/2 = 83/2

gohabsgo said:
Anyways, from there I understand that it becomes 29/2.

However I become discombobulated when the following is given: 24 X 21/2. What just happened here?
29/2 = 24 + 1/2 = 24 * 21/2

gohabsgo said:
The result becomes y = 16squareroot2(i don't know how to make the squareroot brackets.) This I understand though. It's those two areas above that are stumping me, as I can't seem to ever recall doing other problems like this.

There is something missing here, since there should be two solutions, unless they explicitly said that y > 0.

The other solution is y = -16[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]
You can click the square root expression to see how I did it.

As a check, I will square this expression, and then take the cube root.
[(-16[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex])2]1/3 = [256*2]1/3 = 5121/3 = 8
This shows that -16[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is a solution of the equation y3/2 = 8.

Mark44 said:
Your question doesn't make sense. Starting with
y2/3 = 8
they raised each side to the 3/2 power. This resulted in
(y2/3)3/2 = 83/2

29/2 = 24 + 1/2 = 24 * 21/2

There is something missing here, since there should be two solutions, unless they explicitly said that y > 0.

The other solution is y = -16[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]
You can click the square root expression to see how I did it.

As a check, I will square this expression, and then take the cube root.
[(-16[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex])2]1/3 = [256*2]1/3 = 5121/3 = 8
This shows that -16[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is a solution of the equation y3/2 = 8.
Mark, The bold problem is the problem from the beginning. It's a factor of a larger quadratic-like problem. The other factor I was able to easily solve for when set to 0, but this one is confusing me regarding the exponents. I don't know what to do, or why the author took those steps to achieve the end result.

Why did 8 result in (23)3/2 when both sides were powered by 3/2? That's one thing confusing me. The other is how 29/2 became 24 X 21/2

Last edited:
Here's a little hint

y2/3 - 8 = 0
y2/3=8

Next, what you do to one side of the equation, you must do to the other side. To cancel the 2/3, raise y to the 3/2 power.

This will yield:

(y2/3)3/2= 83/2

y= 83/2

now.. if we use prime factorization,

y= (23)3/2

Which will...

y= 29/2

y= 24.5 if you prefer..

--->
sqrt(2^9)

sqrt(512)

Now do the rest...------> Simplify exact or appropriate. Whatever neccessary.

Atleast that's how I do it

gohabsgo said:
Why did 8 result in (23)3/2 when both sides were powered by 3/2? That's one thing confusing me. The other is how 29/2 became 24 X 21/2
8 did NOT result in (23)3/2. These two numbers are not equal.

What happened was that both sides were raised to the 3/2 power. After this, the right side was 83/2, and they rewrote 8 as 23, so 83/2 = (23)3/2.

Mark44 said:
8 did NOT result in (23)3/2. These two numbers are not equal.

What happened was that both sides were raised to the 3/2 power. After this, the right side was 83/2, and they rewrote 8 as 23, so 83/2 = (23)3/2.
Thanks Mark! I realize now that prime factorization was involved in that step. But now I'm struggling to grasp the latter part. How 29/2 = 24 X 21/2

EDIT: I do understand it now, as I totally missed what I was supposed to do. Simplifying squareroot of 512. I just don't get why the above notation was used for that step.

gohabsgo said:
Thanks Mark! I realize now that prime factorization was involved in that step. But now I'm struggling to grasp the latter part. How 29/2 = 24 X 21/2

I just PMed you about it:bugeye:

BloodyFrozen said:
I just PMed you about it:bugeye:
Thanks again BloodyFrozen for helping me see the light!

Sure, no problem

Related to GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help

1. What is the purpose of GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help?

The purpose of GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help is to provide a platform for students to ask for help with algebra problems. It is a community-driven thread where experienced mathematicians and students can collaborate to solve difficult algebraic equations.

2. Who can participate in GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help?

Anyone can participate in GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help, regardless of their level of algebra knowledge. The thread welcomes both students seeking help and experienced mathematicians offering assistance. Participants are encouraged to be respectful and collaborative in their interactions.

3. How do I ask for help on GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help?

To ask for help, simply post your algebra problem on the thread and explain where you are stuck. It is recommended to include any relevant equations, steps you have taken, and your thought process so far. This will help others understand your approach and provide effective assistance.

4. How quickly can I expect a response on GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help?

The response time on GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help varies depending on the complexity of the problem and the availability of participants. However, the thread is constantly monitored by active members, so you can expect a response within a reasonable amount of time.

5. Can I offer my expertise and help others on GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help?

Absolutely! GoHabsGo's Thread of Algebra help is a collaborative community where everyone is encouraged to participate and help each other. If you have a strong understanding of algebra and can explain concepts in a clear and concise manner, your contributions are highly valued and appreciated.