Glycolic Acid possible treatment for scar tissue?

In summary, Glycolic Acid is a substance that is often used in cosmetic creams and skin peels. It is used for deep tissue skin peels by dermatologists in >10% concentration. The essential activity incurred is the breaking down of the binding lipids which in turn releases dead skin cells from the surface layers of the epidermis. As it is to my understanding, the same activity can occur deeper inside the tissue also allowing for restructuring of the skin in the process reducing wrinkles and creating softer skin. It is simply exfoliating the top layer of skin cells, which can lighten the scar, perhaps making the scar less noticeable. Excessive use of this product can lead to separation of the dermis from the ep
rebeka
Glycolic Acid possible treatment for scar tissue?

I'm looking into possible treatments for scarred tissue. One substance I have come across is Glycolic Acid. It is used extensively in cosmetic creams and skin peels in a <10% concentration and is used for deep tissue skin peels by dermatologists in >10% concentration. The essential activity incurred is the breaking down of the binding lipids which in turn releases dead skin cells from the surface layers of the epidermis. As it is to my understanding, the same activity can occur deeper inside the tissue also allowing for restructuring of the skin in the process reducing wrinkles and creating softer skin. Could this be an effective means of reworking scarred tissue?

Biology news on Phys.org

rebeka said:
I'm looking into possible treatments for scarred tissue. One substance I have come across is Glycolic Acid. It is used extensively in cosmetic creams and skin peels in a <10% concentration and is used for deep tissue skin peels by dermatologists in >10% concentration. The essential activity incurred is the breaking down of the binding lipids which in turn releases dead skin cells from the surface layers of the epidermis. As it is to my understanding, the same activity can occur deeper inside the tissue also allowing for restructuring of the skin in the process reducing wrinkles and creating softer skin. Could this be an effective means of reworking scarred tissue?
It is simply exfoliating the top layer of skin cells, which can lighten the scar, perhaps making the scar less noticeable.

Actually as is to my understanding excessive use of this product can lead to separation of the dermis from the epidermis. It is a powerful agent not to be played with.... Regardless I was hoping for a more detailed discussion into why it wouldn't be effective. Perhaps because the lipids are less present in scar tissue as there maybe an excess of T-III Collagen or something crazy like that :) !

It depends on what type of scar you are trying to heal. I think glycolic acid peels are used mostly for facial blemishes such as acne scars. These scars are usually very superficial and involve a thin layer of dead skin cells and collagen. Glycolic acid would work for most superficial scars but not for anything much deeper than the epidermis.

It is used in medium and deeper peeling but there are severe complications.

Yes, and this is what I'm interested in discussing, the complications and the inhibitions in using glycolic acid as an effective method of reducing or treating deep tissue scars. I'm not looking for a method of dealing with my scars, of which I have a few of varying types! I'm really hoping to have a not so brief conversation on the logical use or avoidance of use of this substance in dealing with scar tissue. We could call it a disinterested pursuit of knowledge! I'm also interested in the effects of hyaluronic acid, collagen, beta hydroxy acids, retinol it's just something I'm trying to learn about... Is this not a discussion forum, I seem to be abbreviated every time I try to have a conversation of personal interest.

rebeka said:
Is this not a discussion forum, I seem to be abbreviated every time I try to have a conversation of personal interest.
Could be that no one else is that interested in it.

rebeka said:
Yes, and this is what I'm interested in discussing, the complications and the inhibitions in using glycolic acid as an effective method of reducing or treating deep tissue scars. I'm not looking for a method of dealing with my scars, of which I have a few of varying types! I'm really hoping to have a not so brief conversation on the logical use or avoidance of use of this substance in dealing with scar tissue. We could call it a disinterested pursuit of knowledge! I'm also interested in the effects of hyaluronic acid, collagen, beta hydroxy acids, retinol it's just something I'm trying to learn about... Is this not a discussion forum, I seem to be abbreviated every time I try to have a conversation of personal interest.

I think it's a good question...I just don't have any answers beyond those already given. That might be the problem too, just that it's a question without anyone with an answer here.

I doubt anything applied topically is going to help a deep tissue scar (i.e., a surgical scar) simply because it goes so deep that there's nothing left there beneath it for good, normal skin to grow on, but I don't know how legit or not any of these products are for more minor scars (such as the acne scars mentioned above).

Related to Glycolic Acid possible treatment for scar tissue?

1. What is Glycolic Acid?

Glycolic acid is a type of alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) that is derived from sugar cane. It is commonly used in skincare products for its exfoliating and anti-aging properties.

2. Can Glycolic Acid be used to treat scar tissue?

Yes, glycolic acid has been found to be effective in reducing the appearance of scar tissue. It works by breaking down the bonds between dead skin cells, promoting cell turnover and revealing smoother, healthier skin.

3. What types of scars can Glycolic Acid treat?

Glycolic acid can be used to treat a variety of scars, including acne scars, surgical scars, and stretch marks. However, it may not be as effective for deeper scars, such as keloid scars.

4. How should Glycolic Acid be used for scar treatment?

Glycolic acid can be applied topically in the form of creams, serums, or peels. It is important to follow the instructions on the product carefully and to start with a lower concentration to avoid irritation. It is also recommended to use sunscreen when using glycolic acid, as it can increase skin sensitivity to the sun.

5. Are there any side effects of using Glycolic Acid for scar treatment?

Possible side effects of using glycolic acid include redness, stinging, and peeling of the skin. These side effects are usually temporary and can be minimized by using a lower concentration and gradually increasing as tolerated. It is also important to patch test the product before applying it to the entire affected area.