Glycine/Hydrazine Buffer: Trapping Pyruvate as Hydrazone

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, the conversation is about clarifying the meaning of a statement regarding a reaction in a glycine/hydrazine buffer at pH 9.0. The speaker is having trouble finding information on the topic and is seeking clarification and assistance.
nobahar
Hello!
I think this is going to be one of those unread questions that disappear into the abyss, so I'll shorten in hopes of a reply:
What exactly does this mean: "If the reaction is carried out in a glycine/hydrazine buffer pH0.9, then pyruvate is trapped as the hydrazone and H+ the buffer."?
I can't seem to find any straightforward information concerning this; or not at least I can follow...
Any help appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all - are you sure it is pH 0.9? Not pH 9.0?

Check what hydrazone is.

Sorry! Yeah it's pH 9.0. I'll have a look, but I am just about to post a more pressing question that I have.

Related to Glycine/Hydrazine Buffer: Trapping Pyruvate as Hydrazone

What is a glycine/hydrazine buffer?

A glycine/hydrazine buffer is a solution commonly used in scientific research to maintain a stable pH level. It is made up of glycine, an amino acid, and hydrazine, a chemical compound.

What is the purpose of a glycine/hydrazine buffer?

The purpose of a glycine/hydrazine buffer is to act as a pH buffer, which means it helps to maintain a constant pH level in a solution by absorbing excess hydrogen ions (H+) or hydroxide ions (OH-).

What is the pH range of a glycine/hydrazine buffer?

The pH range of a glycine/hydrazine buffer is between 8.6 and 10.6, making it slightly basic in nature. This range is ideal for many biological and biochemical experiments.

How is a glycine/hydrazine buffer prepared?

A glycine/hydrazine buffer can be prepared by dissolving glycine and hydrazine in a specific ratio in water. The exact ratio will depend on the desired pH level of the buffer.

What are the advantages of using a glycine/hydrazine buffer?

One advantage of using a glycine/hydrazine buffer is its stability, as it can maintain a constant pH level even when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is also relatively inexpensive and easy to prepare in the laboratory.