Global error data set & mathematica cubic spline

In summary, to find the best fit for a data set, you can use approximation and interpolation methods such as cubic least squares and cubic spline interpolation. To calculate the global error, you need to find the average of the local errors, which can be done by summing up all the local errors and dividing by the number of data points. For cubic spline interpolation in Mathematica 8, you can use the Interpolation function as shown in the example.
pat666
Hey, I have a data set (electronic device output) which we need to find the best fit via approximation and interpolation. I've done a cubic least squares, then found the local error for all the given points (actual - approximate). We need to also find the global errors for the methods we choose but I don't know what the global error is or how to find it??

Also I am doing a cubic spline interpolation and need to do the same thing regarding errors but first I need to make mathematica 8 do the spline. Any one know the code for this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!The global error is the average of the local errors. To find the global error, you need to sum up all the local errors and divide by the number of data points. For the cubic spline interpolation, you can use the Interpolation function in Mathematica 8. Here is an example for a dataset consisting of x values from 0 to 10 and y values from 0 to 10: list1 = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10}; list2 = {0, 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100}; f = Interpolation[Transpose[{list1, list2}], InterpolationOrder -> 3]; This creates an interpolating function f that you can use to evaluate any points inside the range.

What is a global error data set?

A global error data set is a collection of data points that represent the difference between a mathematical model and the corresponding real-world values. This type of data set is often used in scientific research to evaluate the accuracy of a model or to identify areas for improvement.

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a computer program and programming language used for mathematical, scientific, and engineering calculations and simulations. It is commonly used by scientists and researchers to analyze data and create visualizations.

What is a cubic spline?

A cubic spline is a type of mathematical function that is used to interpolate data points. It is commonly used in data analysis and visualization to smooth out data and create a continuous curve.

How can Mathematica be used to create a cubic spline?

Mathematica has built-in functions that allow for the creation of cubic splines. These functions use the data points provided by the user and generate a smooth curve that passes through each point. The resulting cubic spline can then be used for further analysis or visualization.

Why is it important to analyze global error data sets using Mathematica cubic splines?

Analyzing global error data sets using Mathematica cubic splines allows for a more accurate representation of the data and can help identify any systematic errors in a model. This can lead to improvements in the model and ultimately enhance the understanding and accuracy of scientific research.