Glass Lubricants for High Temp Metal Working | Info & Refs

• Thread starter darkelf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the conversation discussed the potential use of glass as a lubricant for high-temperature metal working operations. The viscosity of glass decreases with heat and it is inert to metals, making it a possible option. However, more information is needed on its wetting properties with metallic surfaces.
darkelf
Hi,

It's come to my attention that one can use glass as a lubricant for hight temperature metal working operations. I'm very interested in this could anyone please give me any information about this, papers, articles and book references as well as a company I can get these glass coatings done.

Thanks so much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
darkelf,

I've never heard of using glass as a high-temperature lubricant, but it does make sense. When glass heats up its viscosity goes down and it's inert to metals. I'm not sure about the wetting properties of glass with metallic surfaces, but glass can be used as a crucible for melting low melting point metals such as Al, which means the wetting properties can't be that bad.

modey3

Related to Glass Lubricants for High Temp Metal Working | Info & Refs

1. What is the purpose of using glass lubricants in high temperature metal working?

The purpose of using glass lubricants is to reduce friction and provide a protective barrier between the metal surfaces during high temperature metal working processes. This helps to prevent wear and tear on the metal surfaces and allows for smoother and more efficient metal working.

2. What are the benefits of using glass lubricants over traditional lubricants?

Glass lubricants have several benefits over traditional lubricants, including their ability to withstand high temperatures without breaking down, their non-toxic and environmentally friendly nature, and their ability to provide a smoother and cleaner finish on metal surfaces.

3. Can glass lubricants be used in all types of metal working processes?

Glass lubricants are suitable for many different types of metal working processes, such as forging, stamping, and hot rolling. However, they may not be suitable for certain processes that require a different type of lubricant, such as deep drawing or cold rolling.

4. How are glass lubricants applied in high temperature metal working?

Glass lubricants can be applied in several ways, including spraying, brushing, or dipping the metal surfaces into the lubricant. The specific application method will depend on the type of lubricant and the metal working process being used.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when using glass lubricants in high temperature metal working?

Yes, it is important to follow the recommended safety precautions when using glass lubricants in high temperature metal working. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring proper ventilation in the workspace, and following the manufacturer's instructions for handling and storing the lubricant.