Discover the Benefits of Cool Lights for Your Film Project

In summary: Intensity@20ma"? This is the brightness of the light in lumens per second. 10,000 mcd is about the brightness of a 40-watt lightbulb. It's a measure of light intensity. In summary, a "cool light" is a super bright blue LED that emits white light. It is less watts than what the author is after, but it should be enough to light up a mountain.
quantumcarl
Hello, I am asking about "cool lights" for a project I have boiling over on the back burner.:smile:

I have heard about "cool lights" in the film industry. They are supposedly very cool... not hot. Even 50K lights used at night, to make it look like daylight, can be cool lights. The conventional ones are very hot. (Actually, the grips and lighting technicians prefer the hot lights simply because they have become used to handling them cautiously to avoid being burnt... out of habit)

But, what I am after is a very strong (50K to 200K) light that remains cool. I wonder if anyone has a link or an article pertaining to such a light or "cool light". Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Here's one example:

http://www.simkar.com/news-docklight.htm [Broken]

but, they don't have a monster huge light like what I need. My requirement is 50,000 watts or better. The light must be able to be focused to penetrate some pretty dense and variate materials.

Here's another example:

http://sell-it-on-the-net.com/online_store/Pro_line_cool_lite.htm

Here I was reminded of another requirement... the light must be full spectrum light. This productm, so far, only goes up to under 1kw. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is what I'm on about related to Cool Lazers?

Don't know about the laser thing, but I seem to remember a big bruhaha (if you'll excuse the technical term) about a Chinese resaerch & development scientist who cracked the problem of making a blue Light Emmiting Diode. With this final part of the colour spectrum opened up, it was said that it should now be possible to produce an LED that produces full-spectrum "white" light. That was some years ago, I would think that such devices would be on the market by now.

I'll see if I can find any.

There are super bright blue LEDS with a fluorescent coating that emit "white" light but it is not a full spectrum in the visable range (any range). LED 's emitting white light would have to be constructed of material having a wide range of electron energies available, probably organic. I don't see how a full spectrum output would be achieved with any material without severely disturbing Herr Planck's sleep.

Just getting to the point of having LED's emitting blue light is a pretty good feat.

Regards

Shouldn't a red, a yellow, and a blue LED emmiting through the same lense produce white light?

Last edited:
Don't know if this helps, but...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm is a site that claims to sell LED's in all colours (including white). One product is listed as "car light". If that means "Headlamp", that should be more than adequate, yes?

Originally posted by LURCH
Don't know if this helps, but...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm is a site that claims to sell LED's in all colours (including white). One product is listed as "car light". If that means "Headlamp", that should be more than adequate, yes?

Thanks guys. The superbrights look interesting... mind you, its looking like they are less Watts than I am after.

What I need is something that will light up a mountain from around 5 miles away. Like a movie light. Like I said, 50kw to 200kw.

I don't get the abbreviations on that site...
"Intensity@20ma"?
what's "ma"?

what's 10,000 mcd with relation to intensity?

Thanks again.

What are cool lights and how do they benefit film projects?

Cool lights are lighting equipment that emit a bluish-white light, also known as a "cool" or "daylight" color temperature. They are commonly used in film projects to create a natural and realistic lighting effect. The benefits of cool lights include better color accuracy, reduced heat production, and longer lifespan compared to traditional incandescent lights.

What types of cool lights are available for film projects?

There are several types of cool lights that are commonly used in film projects. Some popular options include LED lights, fluorescent lights, and HMI lights. Each type has its own strengths and can be used for different purposes, such as key lights, fill lights, or ambient lights.

How do cool lights affect the mood and atmosphere of a film?

Cool lights are versatile tools that can greatly impact the mood and atmosphere of a film. By adjusting the intensity and placement of cool lights, filmmakers can create a wide range of effects, from a cold and sterile atmosphere to a calm and serene ambiance. Cool lights can also be used to create dramatic and contrasting lighting scenarios, adding depth and dimension to the film.

Are there any drawbacks to using cool lights in film projects?

While cool lights offer many benefits, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider. For one, some cool lights may produce a slight greenish tint, which can be corrected with color gels or digital color correction. Additionally, cool lights can be more expensive to purchase and operate compared to traditional incandescent lights. However, the long-term cost savings and superior lighting quality make them a worthwhile investment for many filmmakers.

What are some tips for using cool lights effectively in a film project?

To make the most out of cool lights, it is important to understand their capabilities and limitations. Experiment with different lighting setups and techniques to find the best way to achieve your desired lighting effect. It is also crucial to have proper lighting equipment and accessories, such as diffusers, reflectors, and color gels, to control and manipulate the light as needed. Lastly, make sure to properly white balance your camera to ensure accurate color representation when using cool lights.