Given the ionization energy, find the number of protons

In summary, in order to find the number of protons in the nucleus of a hydrogen-like system with an ionization energy of 11808 kJ/mol, the formula En = E1 * Z^2/n^2 can be used, where En is the total energy, E1 is the ionization energy of hydrogen (1312 kJ/mol), Z is the number of protons, and n is the lowest energy level from which an electron is removed (in this case, n = 1). The value of Z can be calculated by rearranging the formula to Z = sqrt(En/E1), which in this case gives a value of 3. The negative sign in the formula indicates that energy must be added to
Quantum Mind

Homework Statement

A hydrogen like system has ionization energy of 11808 kJ/mol. Find the number of protons in the nucleus.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

Should I use the formula En = E1/n2?

The Attempt at a Solution

The ionization energy of H is 1312 kJ/mol. The ionization energy of the system is 11808 kJ/mol. Since this is hydrogen like system, it has only one electron in its outer shell and so the effects of electron repulsion can be ruled out. If I try to use the above formula, I am not getting the answer. Or should I use the complicated formula for total energy of the system and then try to find z from it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Mind said:
Should I use the formula En = E1/n2?

Not quite. Try En=-Z2E1/n2.

Thanks, but how do I find Z ?

En = 11808
E1 = 1312
Z = ?
n = ? (Is it the number of electrons in the outer shell? In that case it would be 1)

What to do with the negative sign ?

@ Spinnor: Thanks for the link. I posted before viewing your post.

Guess n = 1 and then it works out (at least I think so)

En = E1 * Z2/n2

11808/1312 = Z2

Z = 3, which incidentally is the right answer.

Is my working correct?

Z is the number of protons in the nucleus of this atom and n is the lowest energy level from which you remove an electron when you ionize it. In this case n = 1. Do nothing with the negative sign. It just means that you need to add energy to the atom in order to ionize it, i.e. end up with a nucleus and an electron separate from one another.

Quantum Mind said:
@ Spinnor: Thanks for the link. I posted before viewing your post.

Guess n = 1 and then it works out (at least I think so)

En = E1 * Z2/n2

11808/1312 = Z2

Z = 3, which incidentally is the right answer.

Is my working correct?
That is correct.

Thank You, kuruman.

Related to Given the ionization energy, find the number of protons

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of a positively charged ion.

2. How is ionization energy measured?

Ionization energy is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV).

3. Can the number of protons be determined from ionization energy?

Yes, the number of protons can be determined from ionization energy because the ionization energy is directly related to the number of protons in an atom.

4. How do you find the number of protons given the ionization energy?

To find the number of protons, you can use the formula Z = -E/R, where Z is the atomic number (number of protons), E is the ionization energy, and R is the Rydberg constant.

5. Can ionization energy be used to identify unknown elements?

Yes, ionization energy can be used to identify unknown elements because each element has a unique ionization energy value. By measuring the ionization energy, we can determine the atomic number and thus identify the element.