Given operator, show the Hamiltonian

Ah got it! Thank you very much :)In summary, the given equation is used to show that the Hamiltonian operator can be written as a combination of the radial momentum operator and the angular momentum operator. In order to do so, the square of the radial momentum operator must be calculated, which involves composing the operator with itself. By following the proper steps and not assuming any shortcuts, the correct expression for the square of the radial momentum operator can be obtained.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

Given [tex] \hat{P}_r\psi=-i\hbar\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex], show [tex]\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2m}(\hat{P}^2_r+\frac{\hat{L}^2}{r^2})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution starts out with [tex]\hat{P}^2\psi=-\hbar^2\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex] but I am not sure why it's 1/r isntead of 1/r^2 when I square P?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
spacetimedude said:

Homework Statement

Given [tex] \hat{P}_r\psi=-i\hbar\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex], show [tex]\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2m}(\hat{P}^2_r+\frac{\hat{L}^2}{r^2})[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution starts out with [tex]\hat{P}^2\psi=-\hbar^2\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex] but I am not sure why it's 1/r isntead of 1/r^2 when I square P?

Thank you

Write ##\hat{P_r}^2 \psi = \hat{P_r} \hat{P_r}\psi## out in full.

PeroK said:
Write ##\hat{P_r}^2 \psi = \hat{P_r} \hat{P_r}\psi## out in full.
[itex]\hat{P}_r\hat{P}_r\psi=-\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\psi[/itex]. Then do we just multiply in r/r into the right hand side?
EDIT: Probably not because can't just multiply something in the derivative

spacetimedude said:
[itex]\hat{P}_r\hat{P}_r\psi=-\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\psi[/itex]. Then do we just multiply in r/r into the right hand side?
EDIT: Probably not because can't just multiply something in the derivative

Yes, was just going to say. You need to focus on how ##P## is defined (literally) and calculate ##P^2##. No short cuts, no presumptions.

For example, where did the ##i##'s go? You presumed those away (with no ill effects), but you wrongly presumed other things away!

PeroK said:
Yes, was just going to say. You need to focus on how ##P## is defined (literally) and calculate ##P^2##. No short cuts, no presumptions.

For example, where did the ##i##'s go? You presumed those away (with no ill effects), but you wrongly presumed other things away!
Is it right to assume, in the question, [itex]\hat{P}_r\psi=-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\psi[/itex]? Then if we disregard the ##\psi##, then it's just multiplying two momentum operators and [itex](-i\hbar)(-i\hbar)\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}[/itex] and put the ##\psi## to both sides and get what I had in the previous comment?

spacetimedude said:
Is it right to assume, in the question, [itex]\hat{P}_r\psi=-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\psi[/itex]? Then if we disregard the ##\psi##, then it's just multiplying two momentum operators and [itex](-i\hbar)(-i\hbar)\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}[/itex] and get what I had in the previous comment?

Given [tex] \hat{P}_r\psi=-i\hbar\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex]

PeroK said:
Given [tex] \hat{P}_r\psi=-i\hbar\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex]
Hmm, what would ##\hat{P}_r## be in our case?

spacetimedude said:
Hmm, what would ##\hat{P}_r## be in our case?

You're given the ##\hat{P_r}## above. What is the square of that operator?

In fact, you are given ##\hat{P_r}^2## as well.

Your question was "why?"

PeroK said:
You're given the ##\hat{P_r}## above. What is the square of that operator?
If I square the right side, wouldn't it square ##\psi## as well? I have [tex]\hat{P}^2_r\psi=-\hbar^2\frac{1}{r^2}(\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi))^2[/tex]

spacetimedude said:
If I square the right side, wouldn't it square ##\psi## as well? I have [tex]\hat{P}^2_r\psi=-\hbar^2\frac{1}{r^2}(\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi))^2[/tex]

Look, to get there you have done about 10 algebraic steps in your head. Some correctly, some wrongly. You need to focus on what you have, write it out in full, no presumptions, one step at a time and see what you get.

PeroK said:
Look, to get there you have done about 10 algebraic steps in your head. Some correctly, some wrongly. You need to focus on what you have, write it out in full, no presumptions, one step at a time and see what you get.
[tex]\hat{P}_r\psi=-i\hbar\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{P}_r^2\psi=(-i\hbar)^2\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{P}^2_r\psi=-\hbar^2(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi))^2[/tex]
[tex]\hat{P}^2_r\psi=-\hbar^2\frac{1}{r^2}(\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi))^2[/tex]
This is what I have on my paper. I don't think I am assuming anything?

spacetimedude said:
[tex]\hat{P}_r\psi=-i\hbar\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{P}_r^2\psi=(-i\hbar)^2\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{P}^2_r\psi=-\hbar^2(\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi))^2[/tex]
[tex]\hat{P}^2_r\psi=-\hbar^2\frac{1}{r^2}(\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}}(r\psi))^2[/tex]
This is what I have on my paper. I don't think I am assuming anything?

Okay, your mistake was more fundamental. The product of operators is composition:

##\hat{P}_r^2\psi = \hat{P}_r(\hat{P}_r \psi) = -i \hbar \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}} (r \hat{P}_r \psi) = -i \hbar \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}} (r[-i \hbar \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}} (r \psi)])##

PeroK said:
Okay, your mistake was more fundamental. The product of operators is composition:

##\hat{P}_r^2\psi = \hat{P}_r(\hat{P}_r \psi) = -i \hbar \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}} (r \hat{P}_r \psi) = -i \hbar \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}} (r[-i \hbar \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{r}} (r \psi)])##
Ah got it! Thank you very much :)

Related to Given operator, show the Hamiltonian

What is a Hamiltonian?

A Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a physical system. It is named after the Irish mathematician and physicist William Rowan Hamilton.

What is the significance of the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. It helps us understand the evolution of a physical system over time and can reveal important information about the system's energy states and dynamics.

How is the Hamiltonian related to the given operator?

The Hamiltonian is often derived from the given operator, which represents the observable physical quantity of interest in a system. This allows us to mathematically describe the system in terms of the operator and its associated Hamiltonian.

What are some common given operators?

Some common given operators include position, momentum, and energy. These operators are used to represent physical quantities that can be observed and measured in a system.

How do you show the Hamiltonian using a given operator?

To show the Hamiltonian using a given operator, we can use mathematical techniques such as the commutator or eigenvalue methods. These methods help us relate the operator to its corresponding Hamiltonian and determine the system's energy states.