Given a force equation and mass, find velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity of a particle of mass 3.0 kg moving in one dimension at time t. The equation F=ma is mentioned, along with the motion equation v=v0+at. The attempt at a solution involves substituting the given equation for F and mass into Newton's 2nd Law and solving for acceleration. However, since acceleration is not constant, integral calculus may be needed to find the velocity at time t. The use of a velocity equation at time t as the final answer is also mentioned.
gwhite00

Homework Statement

The force on a particle of mass 3.0 kg moving in one dimension at time t, is given by:

F = 9.0 +2.0t - 4.0t2. What is the velocity of the particle? (Let v0=0 and ti=0)

Homework Equations

[/B]
I know to use F = ma for sure.

And I believe this is the motion equation I should be using, but I'm not completely sure: v = v0 + at

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I substituted in the given equation for F and the given mass into Newton's 2nd Law equation and solved for the acceleration.

I then further substituted in acceleration into the velocity equation and let v0 = 0 and t = 0, which just appeared to make the velocity 0 m/s which doesn't seem correct.

Could someone point me in the correct direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gwhite00. I see you are new here. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

F= ma
can give you the acceleration vs time graph, then use integral calculus.

Acceleration is not constant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks NascentOxygen for your quick reply.

While I do know how to use integral calculus being in Calculus III, we are not actually using it in our class. So far my professor has only touched on derivational calculus.

I know from previous problem sets written by this professor that his calculus based problems don't even up with a integer answer so I know that t will be part of my result.

I'm just not sure if I'm using the correct equation of motion to achieve an answer of a velocity equation at time t as an answer.

Related to Given a force equation and mass, find velocity

1. What is the force equation?

The force equation is F=ma, where F is the force applied to an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

2. How do I find the velocity using the force equation and mass?

To find the velocity using the force equation and mass, you can use the formula v=√(2F/m), where v is the velocity, F is the force, and m is the mass.

3. Can I use this equation for any object?

Yes, the force equation can be used for any object as long as the force, mass, and acceleration are known or can be calculated.

4. What units should be used for the force equation?

The force equation uses standard SI units, which are kilograms (kg) for mass, meters per second squared (m/s²) for acceleration, and Newtons (N) for force.

5. Why is it important to find the velocity using the force equation and mass?

Finding the velocity using the force equation and mass can be useful in many scientific and engineering applications. It can help determine the speed of an object, the amount of force needed to move an object, and the acceleration of an object.