Given 2 indexes of refraction, how do I figure out thickness of oil

In summary, the oil film in the lightbulb has a diffraction grating, and because nair < nair < nwater, light reflected from both top and bottom surfaces of the oil film experiences phase reversal. This results in constructive interference and makes the lightbulb brighter.
riseofphoenix
Number6-2_zpseb0dc8ad.png

:(:(

Physics news on Phys.org
hi riseofphoenix! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi riseofphoenix! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Given:
noil = 1.16
nwater = 1.33
λviolet = 400 nm - Question 1: why did they give me this if i didn't have to use it?
m = 1 (first order) - Question 2: what do they mean by the term "first order"? I never understand :(
t = ?

Equation to use:

2noilt = mλ
t = mλ/2noil
t = (1)(400 nm) / 2(1.16)
t = 400/2.32
t = 172.4 nm

I did it based off of this:

PhysicsSolution_zpse0f852b5.png

I don't understand their explanation though :(:(:(

Particularly this part: "Since nair < nair < nwater, light reflected from both top and bottom surfaces of the oil film experiences phase reversal."

Question 3: What's phase reversal??
Question 4: And why is this considered "constructive interference"? :(

Last edited:
:'( *sadface*

hi riseofphoenix! :smile:
riseofphoenix said:
Question 1: why did they give me this if i didn't have to use it?

you have used it! :confused:
Question 2: what do they mean by the term "first order"? I never understand :(

it's like a diffraction grating … there are different angles at which there's constructive interference, and this is the first one

(basically, the difference in phase needs to be a multiple of 360° for constructive interference)
I don't understand their explanation though :(:(:(

Particularly this part: "Since nair < nair < nwater, light reflected from both top and bottom surfaces of the oil film experiences phase reversal."

Question 3: What's phase reversal??
Question 4: And why is this considered "constructive interference"? :(

phase reversal is where the reflected ray is 180° out of phase with the incident ray

whether it happens depends on whether the refractive indexes are increasing or decreasing (you need to look this up, and study it!)

if there is phase reversal, you have to add 180° to the phase difference before you decide whether it's a multiple of 360° :wink:

Related to Given 2 indexes of refraction, how do I figure out thickness of oil

1. How do I determine the indexes of refraction for the given oil?

The indexes of refraction for a substance can be found by using a refractometer, a device that measures the bending of light as it passes through the substance. Alternatively, you can also look up the indexes of refraction for the specific type of oil in a reference table.

2. What is the formula for calculating the thickness of oil using two indexes of refraction?

The formula for calculating the thickness of oil is: Thickness = (λ / 2) * [(n2 - n1) / (n2 + n1)], where λ is the wavelength of light used and n1 and n2 are the indexes of refraction of the two materials.

3. Can I use any type of light to calculate the thickness of oil?

No, the wavelength of light used in the formula must be known and consistent. It is recommended to use monochromatic light, such as a laser, for more accurate results.

4. Is the thickness of oil the same at all points in the substance?

No, the thickness of oil can vary depending on the angle at which the light passes through it. This is known as the angle of incidence and can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated thickness of oil?

Yes, the temperature and pressure of the oil can also affect its thickness. It is important to take these factors into consideration when conducting the measurement.