Give an example of a convergent series

In summary, an example of a convergent series $\sum a_n$ for which $(a_n)^{1/n}\to 1$ is $\sum \frac{1}{n^2}$.
alexmahone
Give an example of a convergent series $\sum a_n$ for which $(a_n)^{1/n}\to 1$.

PS: I think I got it: $\sum\frac{1}{n^2}$

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexmahone said:
Give an example of a convergent series $\sum a_n$ for which $(a_n)^{1/n}\to 1$.

PS: I think I got it: $\sum\frac{1}{n^2}$

This checks out numerically.

Note we are already restricted to series the terms of which are eventually all positive.

Now: \((a_n)^{1/n}\to 1\) if and only if \( \log(a_n)/n \to 0\)

The latter requires that \( \log(a_n)\in o(n) \) which is satisfied by \( a_n=n^{k} \), for any \(k \in \mathbb{R}\) which is less restrictive that convergence for the corresponding series.

CB

Yes, that is a great example! The series $\sum \frac{1}{n^2}$ is the famous Basel problem and it is known to converge to $\frac{\pi^2}{6}$. Moreover, as $n$ approaches infinity, $\left(\frac{1}{n^2}\right)^{1/n}$ approaches 1, satisfying the condition given in the problem. Good job!

Related to Give an example of a convergent series

What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a sequence of numbers where the terms get closer and closer to a fixed value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sum of the terms in the series approaches a finite limit.

Can you give an example of a convergent series?

One example of a convergent series is the geometric series 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... which has a sum of 2. This means that as you add more terms to the series, the sum will get closer and closer to 2.

How can you determine if a series is convergent?

A series is convergent if the limit of its terms approaches a finite number. This can be determined by using various tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or integral test.

What is the difference between a convergent series and a divergent series?

A convergent series has a finite sum, while a divergent series has an infinite sum. In other words, the terms in a convergent series approach a fixed value, while the terms in a divergent series do not have a limit.

Why are convergent series important in mathematics?

Convergent series play an important role in calculus, as they allow us to use infinite sums to approximate values of functions. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.