Give all the polar coordinates corresponding the rectangular point

If you were required to give only non-negative values of n, you would have to use the "\pm" notation as your teacher did.
shamieh
Give all the polar coordinates corresponding the rectangular point \(\displaystyle (-1, \sqrt{3})\)

Am i setting this up right?

so would I use \(\displaystyle (r, \theta)\)

so \(\displaystyle x = rcos(\theta)\)
\(\displaystyle y = rsin(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle r^2 = x^2 + y^2\)

so:

\(\displaystyle (-1)^2 = (-1*\frac{2\pi}{3})^2 + (-1*\frac{11\pi}{6})\) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Give all the polar coordinates corresponding the rectangular point \(\displaystyle (-1, \sqrt{3})\)

Am i setting this up right?

so would I use \(\displaystyle (r, \theta)\)

so \(\displaystyle x = rcos(\theta)\)
\(\displaystyle y = rsin(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle r^2 = x^2 + y^2\)
Yes, that is correct.

so:

\(\displaystyle (-1)^2 = (-1*\frac{2\pi}{3})^2 + (-1*\frac{11\pi}{6})\) ?

But I have no idea what is meant by this. But that equation certainly isn't true. [tex]\left(-\frac{2\pi}{3}\right)^2= \frac{4\pi}{9}[/tex] and [tex]\left(\frac{-11\pi}{6}\right)^2= \frac{121\pi^2}{36}[/tex]. Those do NOT add to 1.

You are given that x= -1 and [tex]y= \sqrt{3}[/tex] so that [tex]r^2= (-1)^2+ (\sqrt{3})^2= 1+ 3= 4[/tex]

By dividing \(\displaystyle y= r sin(\theta)[/tex] by [tex]x= r cos(\theta)[/tex] you get
[tex]tan(\theta)= \frac{y}{x}= \sqrt{3}{-1}= -\sqrt{3}[/tex].\)

How about:

\(\displaystyle r^2 = (-1)^2 + (\sqrt{3})^2\)

\(\displaystyle r^2 = 4\)

\(\displaystyle r = 2 \) or \(\displaystyle - 2\)... I understand all of this...

But then..What is going on here?

How are we obtaining the points \(\displaystyle (2, \frac{2\pi}{3} +(-) 2n\pi)\)

HOW does he know that we have the angle of 2pi/3 from the work above alone?

- - - Updated - - -

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that is correct.
But I have no idea what is meant by this. But that equation certainly isn't true. [tex]\left(-\frac{2\pi}{3}\right)^2= \frac{4\pi}{9}[/tex] and [tex]\left(\frac{-11\pi}{6}\right)^2= \frac{121\pi^2}{36}[/tex]. Those do NOT add to 1.

You are given that x= -1 and [tex]y= \sqrt{3}[/tex] so that [tex]r^2= (-1)^2+ (\sqrt{3})^2= 1+ 3= 4[/tex]

By dividing \(\displaystyle y= r sin(\theta)[/tex] by [tex]x= r cos(\theta)[/tex] you get
[tex]tan(\theta)= \frac{y}{x}= \sqrt{3}{-1}= -\sqrt{3}[/tex].\)
\(\displaystyle

Also, would that mean that my answer is just $-\sqrt{3}$ as the final answer??\)

Look at two things: in which quadrant is $\theta$, and as HallsofIvy mentioned:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=\frac{y}{x}\)

So what must you conclude regarding $\theta$?

I got

\(\displaystyle cos\theta = x/r = -1/2\)

\(\displaystyle sin\theta = y/r = \sqrt{3}/2\)

thus \(\displaystyle \theta = 2\pi/3\) in Quadrant II

So would my points be \(\displaystyle (2,2\pi/3)\) ?

Last edited:
Hello, shamieh!

Give all the polar coordinates corresponding to
the rectangular point [tex](\text{-}1,\,\sqrt{3})[/tex]

We are given: .[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x &=& \text{-}1 \\ y &=& \sqrt{3} \end{Bmatrix}[/tex]

We want: .[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}r, & \text{where }r^2 \,=\,x^2+y^2 \\ \theta, & \text{ where }\tan\theta \,=\,\frac{y}{x}\quad \end{Bmatrix}[/tex][tex]r^2 \:=\:x^2+y^2 \;=\;(\text{-}1)^2 + (\sqrt{3})^2 \:=\:1+3 \:=\:4[/tex]

. . Hence: .[tex]r \,=\,\pm2[/tex][tex]\tan\theta \,=\,\frac{\sqrt{3}}{\text{-}1} \,=\,\text{-}\sqrt{3}[/tex]

. . Hence: .[tex]\theta \:=\: \frac{2\pi}{3} + \pi n [/tex]

Therefore: .[tex](\text{-}1,\,\sqrt{3}) \;=\;\begin{Bmatrix}\left(2,\;\tfrac{2\pi}{3}\!+\! 2\pi n\right) \\ \left(\text{-}2,\;\tfrac{5\pi}{3}\!+\!2\pi n\right) \end{Bmatrix}[/tex]

soroban said:
Hello, shamieh!

We are given: .[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x &=& \text{-}1 \\ y &=& \sqrt{3} \end{Bmatrix}[/tex]

We want: .[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}r, & \text{where }r^2 \,=\,x^2+y^2 \\ \theta, & \text{ where }\tan\theta \,=\,\frac{y}{x}\quad \end{Bmatrix}[/tex][tex]r^2 \:=\:x^2+y^2 \;=\;(\text{-}1)^2 + (\sqrt{3})^2 \:=\:1+3 \:=\:4[/tex]

. . Hence: .[tex]r \,=\,\pm2[/tex][tex]\tan\theta \,=\,\frac{\sqrt{3}}{\text{-}1} \,=\,\text{-}\sqrt{3}[/tex]

Therefore: .[tex](\text{-}1,\,\sqrt{3}) \;=\;\begin{Bmatrix}\left(2,\;\tfrac{2\pi}{3}\!+\! 2\pi n\right) \\ \left(\text{-}2,\;\tfrac{5\pi}{3}\!+\!2\pi n\right) \end{Bmatrix}[/tex]

That makes complete sense! But can you explain to me why the answer says:
\(\displaystyle (2, 2\pi/3 \) +/- \(\displaystyle 2n\pi)\) and \(\displaystyle (2, -\pi/3\) +/- \(\displaystyle 2n\pi)\) ?

Last edited:
soroban said:
Hello, shamieh!

So you are just taking \(\displaystyle 0 + \frac{2\pi}{3}\) to get : \(\displaystyle (2, \frac{2\pi}{3} + 2\pi n)\)

and then you are taking \(\displaystyle 2\pi - \frac{2\pi}{3}\) to get: \(\displaystyle (-2, \frac{5\pi}{3} + 2\pi n)\)Also can you explain how my teacher got for his solution, \(\displaystyle (2, \frac{2\pi}{3} \pm 2\pi n)\) and \(\displaystyle (2, -\frac{\pi}{3} \pm 2\pi n)\)

Also this may sound like a dumb question but how come we obtained just + in our final solution where as my teacher has \(\displaystyle \pm\) in his solution...

Although Soroban wrote "-2" for r, in polar coordinates, "r" is usually taken to be positive. Of course, that just reverses the direction which is the same as adding [tex]\pi[/tex] to the angle. That is [tex](-2, 5\pi/3)[/tex], which, technically, means "go to the direction that make angle [tex]5\pi/3[/tex] with the positive x-axis, then go in the opposite direction" is the same as [tex](2, 5\pi/3- \pi)= (2, 2\pi/3)[/tex].

As for the difference between Soroban's "+" and your teacher's "[tex]\pm[/tex]", Soroban is allowing n to be any integer, positive or negative while your teacher is, apparently, only allowing n to be non-negative.

Related to Give all the polar coordinates corresponding the rectangular point

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of coordinates used to represent points in a two-dimensional plane. They use a distance from the origin (known as the radius) and an angle from a fixed reference line (known as the polar angle) to identify a specific point.

2. How do I convert from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), you can use the following formulas:
- r = √(x² + y²)
- θ = arctan(y/x)

3. Can you give an example of finding polar coordinates from rectangular coordinates?

Sure! Let's say we have a point with rectangular coordinates (3,4). To find the polar coordinates, we would first calculate the radius: r = √(3² + 4²) = 5. Then, we would calculate the polar angle: θ = arctan(4/3) = 53.13 degrees. Therefore, the polar coordinates for this point would be (5, 53.13°).

4. What are some applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are particularly useful for representing circular and curved shapes, as well as for analyzing the motion of objects in two-dimensional space.

5. How do I plot points using polar coordinates?

To plot a point using polar coordinates, you would first locate the origin (0,0) on your graph. Then, you would use the radius to determine how far from the origin the point should be plotted. Finally, you would use the polar angle to determine the direction in which the point should be plotted from the origin.