Deriving the equation for drag

In summary, the equation for drag (Fd) can be derived using the following formula: Fd = [Coefficient of drag * density * Area (cross-sectional)*v^2 ] / 2. This is determined by integrating pressure and shear forces over the surface of the airfoil and then dividing by the dynamic pressure. This division is validated by the Buckingham Pi Theorem. However, finding a website that explains this derivation may be difficult as most only list the topic and cite a textbook. The textbook mentioned (written by the professor) is recommended, but may be expensive. It is suggested to check if it is available at a library. The relationship between Mach number and drag force is also mentioned.
exequor
could someone tell me how to derive the equation for drag or send me a site that can do it.

Fd = [Coefficient of drag * density * Area (cross-sectional)*v^2 ] / 2

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't find a site which explains it, and it's been a year since I've taken the class, so I wouldn't be able to do it justice.

Drag (and lift) are both determined first by integrating pressure and shear forces over the surface of the airfoil. Then, they are converted to the Coefficients by dividing by the dynamic pressure. That division is validated by the Buckingham Pi Theorem.

Unfortunately, every site I've found is merely an aerodynamics course syllabus which lists the topic and cites the textbook my class used (and my professor wrote FWIW... makes me happy about my education).

This is the textbook. It's expensive... I'd check to see if they've got it in the library. Everything you need is in the first chapter.

Originally posted by cipher
could someone tell me how to derive the equation for drag or send me a site that can do it.

Fd = [Coefficient of drag * density * Area (cross-sectional)*v^2 ] / 2

Fd(Density) = Coeficient of Drag*Density*Area∫v dv

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Fd(Density) = Coeficient of Drag*Density*Area∫v dv

Uh... no.

rho*A*V^2 is comes from Mach number relationships, not integrating velocity.

What is the equation for drag?

The equation for drag is FD = ½ρAv2CD, where FD is the drag force, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the projected area of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and CD is the drag coefficient.

What is the relationship between drag force and velocity?

The drag force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity of the object. This means that as the velocity increases, the drag force also increases.

How is the drag coefficient determined?

The drag coefficient depends on various factors such as the shape and size of the object, the properties of the fluid, and the flow conditions. It is typically determined experimentally by measuring the drag force on an object at different velocities and using the equation to calculate the drag coefficient.

Can the equation for drag be simplified?

Yes, the equation for drag can be simplified for certain cases, such as when the object is moving at a low velocity or in a fluid with a constant density. In these cases, the equation can be simplified to FD = bv, where b is a constant value.

Why is the equation for drag important?

The equation for drag is important because it allows scientists and engineers to predict and understand the effects of drag on objects moving through fluids. This is crucial in fields such as aerodynamics, where reducing drag is essential for increasing efficiency and performance of aircraft and other vehicles.