Exploring the Stigma Surrounding Homosexuality: A Scientific Perspective

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of homosexuality and the discrimination and misconceptions surrounding it. The participants share their personal experiences and opinions on the matter. The conversation also touches on religious beliefs and how they can influence attitudes towards homosexuality. Despite differing views, the overall message is that being gay is not wrong and it is important to be open-minded and accepting of others.
timejim
You hear the conversation daily. Gay this, Gay that. Laws against being Gay and Laws for it. I want to kmow, just what is wrong with someone who is Gay? Too many people act as though a Gay person is someone with the Plague. Personally, I think that it is what is truly within one's Heart that matters. No, I am not Gay but I can say without a doubt several individuals I know who just happen to be are some of the best people you could ever meet and it is a privilege for me to know them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where's that Ebaumsworld.com picture?!

Well anyways

| GET THE **** OUT!
|
|______________________

Edit: This is not a personal affront, only an explination.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Where's that Ebaumsworld.com picture?!

Well anyways

| GET THE **** OUT!
|
|______________________

Edit: This is not a personal affront, only an explination.

Duh, say what?

the major case against it is that it's a sin to be gay. that's just like if it were a sin to be stupid. there's no way to avoid sinning then, you're just damned at birth.

and people that complain about public homosexuality, because it's turning all our children gay. dad, just show your son a bra catalog and it'll even things out.

there was an article in the local paper today, listing bible verses that denounced homosexuality. I'm sure the verses listed were from a more modern, catholic translation. and I'm also sure that some verses were "translated" to justify some beliefs.

all in all, people just can't tolerate what they don't understand (like science, for example).

Nothing is wrong with being gay. If the community you're in is not open-minded enough for you, move to another that is.

- Warren

THeres nothing wrong with being gay...the only time I have a problem with gay people (guys that is) is when they don't realize that I'm not gay and try to pick me up. I have several gay friends, and its no problem, they know I'm on the other side of the fence and its no big deal.

-Ty

the only time I have a problem with gay people (guys that is) is when they don't realize that I'm not gay and try to pick me up.
I don't understand. Surely you mean you have a problem when then do realize that you are not gay and they try to pick you up? Because otherwise it makes no sense to me. Straight women have hit on me on a number of occasions. I tell them I'm gay, we all have a good laugh, I'm flattered -- If they kept up I could imagine getting pissed off, but why would I fault them the first time for acting reasonably based on something they couldn't know for sure?

God & the Gays

What's wrong about being gay? What's right about being gay? For a whole lot about gays and being gay, check out http://www22.brinkster.com/benariel/gg1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, maybe trotting out all those old chestnuts might impress some gay people who also happen to hold some affinity for Christianity. But personally, I've been an atheist for some 20 years, so nothing at all in that link sheds any new light for me.

Last edited:
Did anyone say there was anything wrong with being gay? Was there any real provocation to make this thread other than to let everyone know exactly what you believe is the proper stance on the issue of homosexuality? I doubt anyone here will actually say there's anything wrong with gay people, so if you actually want someone to answer your question instead of agreeing with you that there's nothing wrong with being gay, try a website geared towards extreme republicans or fundamental christians.

Originally posted by BigRedDot
I don't understand. Surely you mean you have a problem when then do realize that you are not gay and they try to pick you up? Because otherwise it makes no sense to me. Straight women have hit on me on a number of occasions. I tell them I'm gay, we all have a good laugh, I'm flattered -- If they kept up I could imagine getting pissed off, but why would I fault them the first time for acting reasonably based on something they couldn't know for sure?
No I have a problem when they know I'm not gay and they hit on me anyway. Has happened once, and I about came unglued on that one. I'd been friends with the guy since grade school, and this happened after high school. He knew I wasn't gay, but he hit on me anyway (this made twice). I did manage to keep my cool, but...needless to say I don't party around him anymore...

-Ty

No I have a problem when they know I'm not gay and they hit on me anyway.
Uh, that's exactly what I said made sense, and exactly the opposite of what you wrote in your first post: "the only time I have a problem ... is when they don't realize that I'm not gay and try to pick me up."

Make up your mind!

Originally posted by BigRedDot
Uh, that's exactly what I said made sense, and exactly the opposite of what you wrote in your first post: "the only time I have a problem ... is when they don't realize that I'm not gay and try to pick me up."

Make up your mind!

I did make up my mind so :P! I know what I meant to say...and I said it the second time...I never really reread how i worded the first one until now so...yeah :P but I knew what I meant!

-Ty

i don't see a problem with all gays. just some. take cars,

you have good cars and bad cars. and a single bad car can spoil the rep for the whole manufacturer. *glares at richard simmons*

I have a lesbian cousin. it's cool. We scope out women together, she compliments me in my taste in women, then I warn her not to hit on them. Ton of fun?

I have only one problem with the idea of homosexuality.

The current trend in television, movies, theater, literature to force the idea upon us. If you don't think this is true, try and sell a play that does not deal with the subject. Try and find a publishing company that does not say "Especially interested in gay themes." I was shopping a play about five years ago, and that phrase popped up over and over.

My wife watches sitcoms quite frequently, so when I come into the room and she is watching one I say, "Okay, so which one is the gay person?" because I know at least one of the people on the show will be gay. She says, "Both of her fathers," or "That guy's ex wife ran off with a lesbian."

Give me a break. I personally don't know more than one or two gays (I live in a small town). If there is one in every family, I don't see it. Do we really need a token gay in every television show, movie, play or book to make homosexuallity acceptable?

I have nothing against gays. One person that was suspected of being gay when I was in high school was a friend of mine.

Originally posted by Artman
I have only one problem with the idea of homosexuality.

The current trend in television, movies, theater, literature to force the idea upon us. If you don't think this is true, try and sell a play that does not deal with the subject. Try and find a publishing company that does not say "Especially interested in gay themes." I was shopping a play about five years ago, and that phrase popped up over and over.

My wife watches sitcoms quite frequently, so when I come into the room and she is watching one I say, "Okay, so which one is the gay person?" because I know at least one of the people on the show will be gay. She says, "Both of her fathers," or "That guy's ex wife ran off with a lesbian."

Give me a break. I personally don't know more than one or two gays (I live in a small town). If there is one in every family, I don't see it. Do we really need a token gay in every television show, movie, play or book to make homosexuallity acceptable?

I have nothing against gays. One person that was suspected of being gay when I was in high school was a friend of mine.

There really are not that many on TV. There are many more gays than you think. On TV, you see into the characters' homes, so there is no doubt as to their sexuality. In life, you see people driving, shopping and working. Even if they are not in-the-closet, you couldn't tell if they are gay or straight.

You should also expect gays to be over-represented in any dramatic art. Drama (and comedy even moreso) is based on tension. In case you haven't noticed, homosexuality produces tension way out of proportion to the investment the writer needs to make in a character.

Njorl

"Why are you queer?" is less a question than a challenge to one's civil rights. One is not permitted to answer casually and say, "Because it feels good" or "Because no one is stopping me." One must look desperately to scientific and religious theories that are often no more plausible than Schreber's God. Like Schreber, one finds oneself playig paranoid martyr and paranoid detective. One says: I can't help it. Because God loves me. Because the devil is real. It was my mother, my father, my brother, my teacher, the man next door. It was a fatal book I read once. It's hormonal. It's in my genes. I have a teeny weeny hypothalamus and it keeps whispering in my ear, "It must really be rather pleasant to be a woman succumbing to intercourse." Why do you ask?
-ellis hanson

I love this quote.

-betsy

Perhaps I am overly egalitarian, but I consider the contributions of a person to be independent of their social status. Yes, I believe homosexuality is a social status; indeed, somewhat of an in vogue status if the today's media is any guide.

That said, I have several friends who are homosexual, and I don't feel threatened by them or the xenophobes who judge people so superficially.

I am not calling anyone here xenophobic; rather, the ones who like to refer to anyone's social status pejoratively (e.g. with the "That's gay" remarks).

I probably know more gay men than straight. At my last job, in my group there were 6 gay men (including my boss) and 3 women. I do not think of them as being "gay" I don't even find myself thinking about their sexual preferences at all. They are just a bunch of the finest, funniest, greatest guys I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Hi,
I am 15 years old and I just found out that the guy I have liked for 1 year (he also one of my best friends) is gay. I am the only one he has told me. I hang out with two other girls and one of them is againts the idea of guys being gay and she is also best friends with they guy that is gay. I personally have nothing agints someone being gay. I believe that every person has the right to like whom ever they want. But I don't know what to do. He does not know I like him and also he liks a straight guy that has a girlfriend. I don't know?
Well thank you for reading this and please E-mail me if you have any advice.
Thanks

I have experienced that homophobia is directly related to sexual insecurity. Some gay couples I have met are very responsible, an example to surpass most heterosexual marriages. However, a lot of the younger gay generation is apparently quite reckless without sexual protection, flaunting AIDS, promoting old stereotypes and questioning whether gays in general are ready for marriage.

What did PrudensOptimus intend by his post, anyway?

Originally posted by egoist45 Well thank you for reading this and please E-mail me if you have any advice.
Thanks [/B]

Are you a guy or a girl? And if you're a girl, and he's gay, well, honey...ya better go fishin' again.

Meanwhile, for a glimpse into some aspects of the gay question/concern/issue/scene, check out

http://www22.brinkster.com/benariel/gg1.htm

All the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
People have the right to do what they want when they are consenting adults, so long as the do not abridge the laws of society...so' in that stance there is nothing 'wrong' with being Gay...

From a Medical standpoint, the manner of practise of sexual intercourse is riskier, unless protected, but that "Saftey Notion" is everyones, all the time, soo...

From a religious standpoint, Freedom of Religion should permit a group of religious believers to exclude people that they do not think are willing, and/or capable, of fulfilling the 'Model' requirements, all others can simply form their own 'Church' ('Body of People'), soo... nothing really 'wrong' there, either...

What is wrong with being GAY?

nothing at all. it is your life.

"dont talk about religion because ur bound to offend some people"-Big Fish
just do your thing, but people shouldn't press there ideas on other people.

i have no problem with gay people. the only thing that annoys me is stuff like gay pride parades. i mean, so u like the same sex, ok, but u don't have to go out and make a huge deal out of it.

Originally posted by timejim
I want to kmow, just what is wrong with someone who is Gay? Too many people act as though a Gay person is someone with the Plague. Personally, I think that it is what is truly within one's Heart that matters. No, I am not Gay but I can say without a doubt several individuals I know who just happen to be are some of the best people you could ever meet and it is a privilege for me to know them.
If your dad were gay, odds are you wouldn't be here. Other than that tiny bit of ontological discomfort, there would be no other harm to you. As for him, he would have had just a little bit over thirty years shorter lifespan than those boring married heterosexual homophobic slobs. And his lucky parents, freed from the burdens of having grandchildren, could have enjoyed their golden years celebrating all the riches of the glorious lifestyle diversity in their artistically arranged apartment. If only your dad were gay.

Last edited:
Is it true that many otherwise unadoptable children find a loving home with homosexual couples, and that children of gays, in general, are protective of their parent's sexual orientation?

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Is it true that many otherwise unadoptable children find a loving home with homosexual couples, and that children of gays, in general, are protective of their parent's sexual orientation?
Yes, my kids have seen it in their school's educational videos. So it must be all true. It must be.

Man is born naked. Therefore, clothing is evil.

Originally posted by FZ+

Is this how you are picking up chicks? does it work? :wink:

lol, sorry i had to say something.

Originally posted by FZ+

So, if I want to find a nice girl, I should look in a strip club! I must say, some of them do look mighty nice.

Njorl

And some of them are (genetically) men.