Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Give a basis to get the specific matrix M

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Using the equality $M^B_B(\phi_a)=M^E_B(\text{id}) \cdot a \cdot M^E_B(\text{id})^{-1}$ we get
\begin{align*}M^B_B(\phi_a)&=M^E_B(\text{id}) \cdot a \cdot M^E_B(\text{id})^{-1} \\ & =\begin{pmatrix}-\frac{1}{3} & \frac{4}{3} & -1 \\ \frac{5}{3} & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} \\ \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & -\frac{1}{3}\end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 & 0\end{pmatrix}^{-1}\\ & =\begin{pmatrix}-\frac{1}{3} & \frac{4}{3} & -1 \\ \frac{5}{3} & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} \\ \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & -\frac{1}{3}\end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}\frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{3} \\ \frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{3} & -\frac{2}{3} \\ -\frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & -\frac{1}{3}\end{pmatrix} \\ & = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{2}{9} & -\frac{1}{9} & \frac{11}{9} \\- \frac{2}{9} & \frac{13}{9} & -\frac{8}{9} \\ 0 & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{3}\end{pmatrix} \end{align*}
It should be:
$$M^B_B(\phi_a) = M^E_B(\text{id}) \cdot a\cdot M^E_B(\text{id})^{-1} = M^B_E(\text{id})^{-1} \cdot a\cdot M^B_E(\text{id})
=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 & 0\end{pmatrix}^{-1}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 & 0\end{pmatrix}
$$
🤔

For the record, we generally have for a vector $v$:
$$\gamma_B(\phi_a(v)) =M^B_B(\phi_a)\cdot \gamma_B(v) = M^E_B(\text{id}) \cdot a\cdot M^B_E(\text{id})\cdot \gamma_B(v)$$
That is, we start with the representation of $v$ with respect to $B$, which is $\gamma_B(v)$.
We convert it into a representation with respect to $E$ using the matrix $M^B_E(\text{id})$.
Now we can apply the matrix $a$.
The result is a vector with respect to $E$.
So we convert it back into a representation with respect to $B$ using the matrix $M^E_B(\text{id})$. 🧐

So $\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{B}_1}(\phi_1)$ is a diagonal matrix and so also an upper triangular matrix if it is of the form $\begin{pmatrix}u_{11} & 0 \\ 0 & u_{22}\end{pmatrix}$.

Is that correct? Or can we not consider both cases (upper tridiagonal and diagonal) together?
Correct. (Nod)
And yes, we can consider both cases together.

For map $\phi_2$ we cannot do that like that :
\begin{equation*}\phi_2 \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}

There are only complex eigenvalues
Indeed.
So what can we conclude? 🤔

For the last map we have:
\begin{equation*}\phi_3 \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}
So there is only one eigenvalue $u_{11}=0$ and $b_1=\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}$.
What does that mean for the question in the OP? 🤔

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Correct. (Nod)
And yes, we can consider both cases together.
So we have a basis for both cases, for an upper tridiagonal matrix and a diagonal matrix.

Indeed.
So what can we conclude? 🤔
That means that there is no basis so that we get a diagonal matrix, right? But what about a tridiagonal matrix? :unsure:

What does that mean for the question in the OP? 🤔
That means that there is no basis so that we get a diagonal matrix, right? But what about a tridiagonal matrix? :unsure:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
That means that there is no basis so that we get a diagonal matrix, right? But what about a tridiagonal matrix?
Did you you mean upper triangular instead of tridiagonal? 🤔

We needed a real eigenvalue for an upper triangular matrix, didn't we?
Or alternatively, we can find a solution for $-2x_1 y_1 -y_1^2+x_1^2=0$.
We can solve it as a quadratic equation with respect to $x_1$ can't we? 🤔

That means that there is no basis so that we get a diagonal matrix, right? But what about a tridiagonal matrix?
Upper triangular instead of tridiagonal?

We found that we needed a real eigenvalue and its eigenvector to ensure the lower left matrix entry becomes $0$.
What else do we need? 🤔

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Did you you mean upper triangular instead of tridiagonal? 🤔

We needed a real eigenvalue for an upper triangular matrix, didn't we?
Or alternatively, we can find a solution for $-2x_1 y_1 -y_1^2+x_1^2=0$.
We can solve it as a quadratic equation with respect to $x_1$ can't we? 🤔
Oh yes, I mean upper triangular matrix not tridiagonal.

Since there only complex roots, there is no basis such that the matrix $M$ is a diagonal nor an upper triangular matrix, right?

We found that we needed a real eigenvalue and its eigenvector to ensure the lower left matrix entry becomes $0$.
What else do we need? 🤔
So can we consider any other vector as $b_2$, that is linearly independent to $b_1$, so that the matrix $M$ has the desired form?

:unsure:

Last edited:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Since there only complex roots, there is no basis such that the matrix $M$ is a diagonal nor an upper triangular matrix, right?

So can we consider any other vector as $b_2$, that is linearly independent to $b_1$, so that the matrix $M$ has the desired form?
Yes and yes. (Nod)

And we should verify that the matrix actually does get the desired form. (Sweating)

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
For the last map :

Let $b_2=\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}$, then $\gamma_{\mathcal{B}_1}(\phi_3(b_2))=\gamma_{\mathcal{B}_1}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}$.
So we get \begin{equation*}\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{B}_1}(\phi_3)=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} which is an upper triangular matrix.

There is no basis such that $\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{B}_1}(\phi_3)$ is a diagonal matrix, because the element at the second column and first row has to be non zero to get linearly independent vectors, right?

:unsure:

Last edited:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
\begin{align*}\phi_3:\mathbb{R}^2\rightarrow \mathbb{R}, \ \begin{pmatrix}x\\ y\end{pmatrix} \mapsto \begin{pmatrix}y\\ 0\end{pmatrix} \end{align*}
1. Give (if possible) for each $i\in \{1,2,3\}$ a Basis $B_i$ of $\mathbb{R}^2$ such that $M_{B_i}(\phi_i)$ an upper triangular matrix.
2. Give (if possible) for each $i\in \{1,2,3\}$ a Basis $B_i$ of $\mathbb{R}^2$ such that $M_{B_i}(\phi_i)$ an diagonal matrix.
Let $b_2=\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}$, then $\gamma_{\mathcal{B}_3}(\phi_3(b_2))=\gamma_{\mathcal{B}_3}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}$.
So we get \begin{equation*}\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{B}_3}(\phi_3)=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} which is an upper triangular matrix.
I've taken the liberty to change $\mathcal{B}_1$ into $\mathcal{B}_3$ in the above quote.
That was what was intended wasn't it? :unsure:

The eigenvalue was $0$ wasn't it?
Shouldn't we have $u_{11}=0$ then?
I don't think we have the correct $\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{B}_3}(\phi_3)$. (Shake)

There is no basis such that $\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{B}_3}(\phi_3)$ is a diagonal matrix, because the element at the second column and first row has to be non zero to get linearly independent vectors, right?
Correct. (Nod)

Last edited:

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
The eigenvalue was $0$ wasn't it?
Should we have $u_{11}=0$ then?
I don't think we have the correct $\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{B}_3}(\phi_3)$. (Shake)
Ahh yes, we have \begin{equation*}\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{B}_3}(\phi_3)=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} :unsure:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Ahh yes, we have \begin{equation*}\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{B}_3}(\phi_3)=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}
Right. (Nod)