Girl slides down a slide. What is the friction?

In summary, the problem involves a 17 kg girl sliding down a 2.7 m high playground slide with a speed of 1.3 m/s at the bottom. Using the equations F=ma and Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, the normal force was calculated to be 166.77 N and the coefficient of friction was found to be 0.0109. However, the correct method is to first calculate the potential energy at the top of the slide and the kinetic energy at the bottom, and then use the difference to find the work done by friction, which can be used to calculate the coefficient of friction.
fallen186

Homework Statement

A 17 kg girl slides down a playground slide that is 2.7 m high. When she reaches the bottom of the slide, her speed is 1.3 m/s. What is the cohefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the normal force to be 166.77 N (sin(theta)*m*g = sin(20)*17 kg*9.81 m/s^2 = 166.77 N)

I found distance of the slide by (Hyp = Opp/Sin(theta) = 2.7m /sin (20) = 7.89 m)

I then filled in the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad ( (1.3^2 = 0^2 + 2a *7.89m) = (1.69 = 15.788 a) = (a = .107m/s^2 )

I then used F=ma ((F = 17kg *.107m/s^2)= (F =1.82 N))

Then i used mew = 1.82N /166.77 N = .0109

.0109 is wrong. Ehhh how do i do this??!1qWsdf

Physics news on Phys.org
fallen186 said:

Homework Statement

A 17 kg girl slides down a playground slide that is 2.7 m high. When she reaches the bottom of the slide, her speed is 1.3 m/s. What is the cohefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the normal force to be 166.77 N (sin(theta)*m*g = sin(20)*17 kg*9.81 m/s^2 = 166.77 N)

I found distance of the slide by (Hyp = Opp/Sin(theta) = 2.7m /sin (20) = 7.89 m)

I then filled in the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad ( (1.3^2 = 0^2 + 2a *7.89m) = (1.69 = 15.788 a) = (a = .107m/s^2 )

I then used F=ma ((F = 17kg *.107m/s^2)= (F =1.82 N))

Then i used mew = 1.82N /166.77 N = .0109

.0109 is wrong. Ehhh how do i do this??!1qWsdf

How did you know it was 20 degrees?

Anyway figure how much potential energy she had at the top.

PE = m*g*h

Then how much KE does she have at the bottom? mV2/2

The difference is the work that went to friction. = u*m*g*cosθ*d

Thanks that helped a lot. And it was in the picture. Sorry bout that

Related to Girl slides down a slide. What is the friction?

1. Why does a girl slide down a slide?

A girl slides down a slide due to the force of gravity pulling her towards the ground. As she starts at a higher point on the slide and moves towards the ground, this force causes her to accelerate and slide down the slide.

2. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces and the interlocking of the microscopic bumps and grooves on the surfaces.

3. How does friction affect the girl sliding down the slide?

Friction between the girl's body and the slide helps to slow her down and control her speed as she slides down. If there was no friction, she would slide down the slide very quickly and could potentially get injured.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction on a slide?

The amount of friction on a slide can be affected by factors such as the material of the slide (smooth or rough), the weight of the person sliding, the angle of the slide, and any lubricants or substances on the slide's surface.

5. Can friction be reduced on a slide?

Yes, friction on a slide can be reduced by using a smoother material for the slide, applying a lubricant such as water or oil to the surface, or reducing the angle of the slide. However, it is important to maintain a certain amount of friction to ensure the safety of the person sliding down.