Gift for Structural Biology professor

In summary: Its good to meet our teachers after a long time. Once our professor was retiring from our university and we gifted her with something very special that would make her happy and look even more beautiful. We all students decided to gifted her a set of skincare products and this site was most helpful to gift her she liked the most. And recently I met her coincidently, still she remember us and the gift that we presented her. It fells nice to meet our professors remembering you with great asset."This is a great idea! You should definitely gift your professor something special after meeting them for the first time. Something like skincare products would be a great idea.
Mishra
Hello,

I would like to offer a gift to one of my professor who has been extraordinary nice to me this past year. He is a physicist in the field of Structural Biology.

I am thinking of buying him a cool book/illustrated novel about history of science. The best that I have come up so far is Logicomix. But it is pretty far from his field.

I realize posting this here is a bit far-fetched but if anyone would have a better idea that would suits him better ? I am looking for something interesting but not a textbook.

Any advice is welcome, thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
Thank you very much. I'll have a look into those.

How about a physical model of something he studies? If he works on proteins, maybe a 3D model of the molecular structure of a protein he's worked on, or if he does DNA a model of the double-helix. Professors like that kind of stuff and don't have the time to read history books.

Not to rain on the parade, but before doing anything you should check up if your university has a policy on students giving gifts to professors. The last thing you want to do is to get him into trouble for accepting a gift against university rules. I understand that you may want to give a nice professor a gift, but others may see it as a bribe and suspect mischief even if there is none. After all, your professor graded you (or is going to). Therefore, it is better to check up on this before acting.

"How about a physical model of something he studies? If he works on proteins, maybe a 3D model of the molecular structure of a protein he's worked on, or if he does DNA a model of the double-helix. Professors like that kind of stuff and don't have the time to read history books."

This is a great idea, ùaybe I can find someone who can 3D print one of his structure.

"Not to rain on the parade, but before doing anything you should check up if your university has a policy on students giving gifts to professors. The last thing you want to do is to get him into trouble for accepting a gift against university rules. I understand that you may want to give a nice professor a gift, but others may see it as a bribe and suspect mischief even if there is none. After all, your professor graded you (or is going to). Therefore, it is better to check up on this before acting."

This should be okay at my university, and I will probably not work with him anymore.
Thank you all for your input, I have made my choice. I'll go with the book if 3D printing is not possible.

Cheers!

H'mm gift of a book could be ethically dubious? Maybe you don't have the big corruption seen in other parts of the world. :oldbiggrin:
Another book you could look at the review in Amazon and will see it is at least approriate and relevant to your Prof. is J.D.Bernal, Sage of Science.

Last edited:
Gift something which surely your professor will like. I thing books are the best gifts.

Its good to meet our teachers after a long time. Once our professor was retiring from our university and we gifted her with something very special that would make her happy and look even more beautiful. We all students decided to gifted her a set of skincare products and this site was most helpful to gift her she liked the most. And recently I met her coincidently, still she remember us and the gift that we presented her. It fells nice to meet our professors remembering you with great asset.

https://www.thinkgeek.com/ has some fun stuff

Related to Gift for Structural Biology professor

1. What is a suitable gift for a Structural Biology professor?

A suitable gift for a Structural Biology professor would be something related to their field of study, such as a book on the latest research in Structural Biology or a personalized lab coat.

2. Are there any specific gifts that Structural Biology professors would appreciate?

Structural Biology professors would appreciate gifts that are practical and useful for their work, such as high-quality microscopes or other lab equipment.

3. Can I gift something personalized to a Structural Biology professor?

Yes, a personalized gift can be a great option for a Structural Biology professor. You can consider getting them a personalized mug or a custom-made piece of lab equipment with their name on it.

4. Is it appropriate to give a gift card to a Structural Biology professor?

It is generally not recommended to give a gift card as a gift to a Structural Biology professor, as it may come across as impersonal. It is better to choose a gift that is more thoughtful and tailored to their interests.

5. What is the best way to show appreciation to a Structural Biology professor with a gift?

The best way to show appreciation to a Structural Biology professor with a gift is to choose something that aligns with their interests and shows that you have put thought into the gift. You can also include a personalized note expressing your gratitude for their guidance and mentorship.