Gibbs phase rule at critical point

In summary, the conversation discusses the degrees of freedom at the critical point of a 1 component system, specifically water. The speaker mentions putting zero as the answer on a test because the critical point is a fixed point per substance. They also ask if there are any books to support this answer and mention their teacher's belief that there is only 1 degree of freedom, which the speaker disagrees with.
casas1010
What is the degrees of freedom at the critical point of a 1 component system such as water. in my test I put zero because the critical point is a POINT that is fixed per substance.
is there any books that can back me up?
I heard that my teacher said there was 1 degree of freedom which I am pretty sure its wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
and if I am wrong what is your reasoning, thanks

casas1010 said:
What is the degrees of freedom at the critical point of a 1 component system such as water. in my test I put zero because the critical point is a POINT that is fixed per substance.
is there any books that can back me up?
I heard that my teacher said there was 1 degree of freedom which I am pretty sure its wrong
I agree with you. P + V = C +2
C = 1
P = 3
so
V = 0

Chet

Related to Gibbs phase rule at critical point

What is the Gibbs phase rule at critical point?

The Gibbs phase rule at critical point is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that relates the number of phases, components, and degrees of freedom in a system at its critical point.

How is the Gibbs phase rule used?

The Gibbs phase rule is used to determine the number of phases that can coexist in a system at its critical point, based on the number of components and degrees of freedom in the system.

What is the critical point?

The critical point is the temperature and pressure at which a substance transitions from one phase to another, typically from liquid to gas. It is the highest point on a phase diagram and marks the end of the liquid-gas coexistence region.

What is the significance of the critical point in thermodynamics?

The critical point is significant because it represents the conditions at which the properties of a substance change dramatically, and it is a key factor in understanding phase transitions and critical phenomena in thermodynamics.

How does the Gibbs phase rule at critical point relate to phase transitions?

The Gibbs phase rule at critical point is important in predicting and understanding phase transitions, as it provides a framework for determining the conditions at which multiple phases can coexist in a system. This can help scientists study and manipulate phase transitions for various applications.