Ghost Detectors: What Is 1 Milligauss?

• Thread starter Razzor7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detectors
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's job at a tourist attraction known for being "haunted" and their skepticism towards ghosts. They mention a couple who showed up with a "ghost detector" that measures milligauss, which is a measurement of the strength of an electromagnetic field. The person also mentions their recent physics class and how they know about milligauss from the internet. They then discuss the significance of 1 milligauss and how it can be affected by electrical sources. The conversation ends with a question about the accuracy of the "ghost detector" and the possibility of the exit sign being haunted.
Razzor7
"Ghost Detectors"

So I work at a popular tourist attraction that is well known for being "haunted." Needless to say, I get a lot of people asking about ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts. I need some kind of evidence to acknowledge stuff of the kind. Anyway, a week or two ago this couple showed up with a "ghost detector." I looked at it, and it was meter that measured milligauss. My physics class just blew over electromagnetism, so I only know what I've gathered from the internets. This is a measurement of the strength of an electromagnet field, yes? When I held it up to an exit sign, it went haywire. How significant is 1 milligauss? This thing went from like 1.5 to 6.0 milligauss.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

The Earth's field is about 400-600 milli Gauss depending on where you live.
Anything with AC wiring, a battery or an electric motor is going to give a significant field.

Or maybe your exit sign is haunted!

mgb_phys said:
The Earth's field is about 400-600 milli Gauss depending on where you live.
Anything with AC wiring, a battery or an electric motor is going to give a significant field.

Or maybe your exit sign is haunted!

So is there some reason the "normal" reading was like 1.5 milli gauss and not 400-600? Or is it a matter of me remember the scale wrong/a faulty unit (I doubt that ghost detectors maintain a high quality standard).

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: typo

Last edited:

The scale might be measuring extra field, although if it was really measuring 1mGa you would get that by just moving it a fraction.

Related to Ghost Detectors: What Is 1 Milligauss?

1. What is a milligauss?

A milligauss is a unit of measurement for magnetic fields. It is equal to one thousandth of a gauss, which is the unit used to measure the strength of magnetic fields.

2. How does a ghost detector measure milligauss?

A ghost detector uses a device called a magnetometer to measure the strength of a magnetic field. This device is sensitive enough to measure milligauss levels of magnetic fields.

3. Why is 1 milligauss significant for ghost detection?

Many paranormal investigators believe that ghosts or spirits emit electromagnetic fields, and that these fields can be detected using a magnetometer. 1 milligauss is considered a low level of magnetic field, so if a ghost detector registers a reading of 1 milligauss, it could indicate the presence of a ghost or spirit.

4. Are there other factors that could cause a reading of 1 milligauss on a ghost detector?

Yes, there are several other factors that could cause a reading of 1 milligauss on a ghost detector. These include natural sources of electromagnetic fields such as power lines, electronics, and even the Earth's magnetic field. It is important for ghost detectors to be used in controlled environments and for investigators to rule out any other potential causes of a 1 milligauss reading.

5. Can a 1 milligauss reading on a ghost detector prove the existence of ghosts?

No, a 1 milligauss reading on a ghost detector cannot prove the existence of ghosts. It is just one piece of evidence that paranormal investigators may use in their research. Other factors and evidence must also be considered in order to determine the presence of ghosts or spirits.