Exploring Star Collision: What You Need to Know

In summary, the conversation discusses a project about star collisions for school and the search for information on the topic. The Scientific American article is suggested as a good resource and a simulation involving an air gun and water-filled balloon is proposed. The density of a white dwarf and the ratio of the density of an air gun pellet and water are mentioned as important considerations for the simulation. The possibility of a university conducting calculations on star collisions is also brought up.
BlackJack
Well I have to make a project about star collision for my school. Now I'm not quite sure how to start, because there are some differen theories. My teacher said the old one is that star never collide, but the newer one (scientific american) says that it is possible ?
So where can I find some good information to that topic ?

Also I plan to simulate the collsion of a white dwarf and the sun, with a simple experiment:

-an air gun + water filled ballon
and the record that and make some conclusions about what would really happen.

Have you got any other ideas what I could do ?

please tell me :smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The Scientific American article is a good place to start; if you have questions after reading it (and the 'further reading' it mentions), by all means ask them here1

Re your simulation: how does the density of a white dwarf compare with the average density of the Sun (and its density at its core)? What is the ratio of the density of an airgun pellet and water? Considerations like these will help you describe the strengths and weaknesses of your simulation.

Dwarf star: could the presence of that much mass at such great density in the core of the Sun dampen fusion, like lead rods in a fission reactor?

@ the experiement : the white dwarf has fare more higher desinity so it would just cut through the sun (sciam: good simulation).

Is there a chance that a university would do some calculation about a collsion ? [?] imo probably not, maybe i just ask ^^

1. What is a star collision?

A star collision, also known as a stellar collision, is when two stars physically collide with each other due to their gravitational forces. This can happen when two stars are in a binary system or when a star passes too close to another star.

2. Why do stars collide?

Stars collide due to their intense gravitational forces. If two stars are in a binary system, their orbits may shift over time until they eventually collide. In other cases, a passing star may disrupt the orbit of another star, causing them to collide.

3. What happens when stars collide?

When stars collide, there are various possible outcomes depending on the mass and velocity of the stars. In some cases, the stars may merge and form a larger, more massive star. In other cases, the collision may cause a massive explosion, known as a supernova.

4. Can star collisions be observed?

Yes, star collisions can be observed with powerful telescopes and other astronomical instruments. However, they are relatively rare events and can be difficult to detect. Scientists are constantly monitoring the skies for potential star collisions.

5. Are star collisions dangerous to Earth?

No, star collisions are not dangerous to Earth. Our planet is located in a safe distance from any other stars, and the chances of a star collision affecting us are extremely low. However, scientists are still studying the potential effects of a nearby star collision on Earth's atmosphere and other celestial bodies in our solar system.