Getting unbanned from thephilosophyforums.com

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the forum banned the user because they changed their belief system and were not philosophical enough for the forum.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Last year I got banned from the following website:
https://thephilosophyforum.com/

I want to request the admins there to get me unbanned.
But I don't see there any email for making contact over there?

Does someone know who should I speak with over there?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Were you not philosophical enough for them? :wink:

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, sbrothy and pinball1970
MathematicalPhysicist said:
But I don't see there any email for making contact over there?
You can send a message to a staff member or a moderator !

1612979857822.png

and: what went wrong to get thrown out :nb) ?

berkeman said:
Were you not philosophical enough for them? :wink:
I believe it was something on Gnosticism...
But I change my belief system constantly.
:cool:

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary
Yeah, with a brief search I saw some discussion you had there about 8 months ago with a Moderator who deleted a thread of yours like that. Did you get banned back then, or was it more recent?

berkeman said:
Yeah, with a brief search I saw some discussion you had there about 8 months ago with a Moderator who deleted a thread of yours like that. Did you get banned back then, or was it more recent?
Just this year I got banned.
Who has the time to read all those guidelines of every forum?
Just reading books on logic,physics and maths is time consuming.
And I like to sleep... :sleep:

I do like the "Site Role" field there, with "Banned" as a possible status.

They say "Bans are permanent and non-negotiable. Returning banned members will be rebanned." Do you have reason to think they don't mean this?

Likes russ_watters, Wrichik Basu and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
They say "Bans are permanent and non-negotiable. Returning banned members will be rebanned." Do you have reason to think they don't mean this?
But, what does permanent actually mean? Or non-negotiable? Or banned? Is the banned member still the same member if he comes back after some of his cells have been replaced? What if, as Thales of Miletus would have us believe, everything is made of water - isn't a forum made of water too? And if so, doesn't it follow that you never log into the same forum twice? Or, say, if you had a speeding undesirable member on a trolley track, should you allow them to log in again and make an undesirable post or, by taking no action, redirect them to another forum where they make five such posts? And anyway, which way to the overman?

• Haha
  • Skeptical
Likes sbrothy, Klystron, russ_watters and 7 others
Well played, Bannedersnatch.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Well played, Bannedersnatch.
Oh crap, you BOTH owe me a new keyboard. Spewed my drink on that one... :smile:

Likes gleem and Mondayman
Let me guess. You asserted that potato is better than spinach.

Dammit Jim, it's a philosophy forum, not a cooking forum.

1613002815483.png

• Haha
Likes gleem, strangerep, russ_watters and 5 others
Bandersnatch said:
Is the banned member still the same member if he comes back after some of his cells have been replaced? What if, as Thales of Miletus would have us believe, everything is made of water - isn't a forum made of water too? And if so, doesn't it follow that you never log into the same forum twice?

Well, its not the individual components that define the identity of complex items, it is the continuing organization (through time) imposed upon those components, as they pass through that entity (be they: cells in a body, molecules in a cell, or people in a society).

Likes Klystron
Vanadium 50 said:
rebanned
Reban is not a word, not even in Scrabble (but REBAN stands for "Restaurant and Bar Association of Nepal").

• Haha
Likes Klystron
Keith_McClary said:
Reban is not a word, not even in Scrabble
I often play a friend who is a former state champion. I have a good vocabulary but he knows how to make one tile join four separate words giving him 57 points and I SWEAR some of those words are made up. And if he can use the name ancient Chinese measurements to get rid of Q the why can't I use my high school French (n'est ce pas)?

Likes Keith_McClary
It sounds like something that should be right up their street.

I thought Gnosticism was concerned with knowledge rather than belief?

Keith_McClary said:
Reban is not a word, not even in Scrabble (but REBAN stands for "Restaurant and Bar Association of Nepal").
Why not? it's now a word.

Micro-pieces of Teflon could be hazardous to your health. Better to use stainless steel than that nostick junk they sell on TV.

Likes pinball1970
Keith_McClary said:
Reban is not a word, not even in Scrabble

Because it's a proper noun and you can't use proper nouns in scrabble. It's spelled Re'ban and it means "I live in a Kombi".

I used to be on that forum too quite a while ago, but I gradually quit after getting bored for not getting any new intellectual ideas. Many of what they say are unsupported opinion, rather than a legitimate argument. No basic understanding of actual psychology, actual science, statistics, or anything else. Just bunch of opinions and speculations. No reason to be there at all.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba, Mondayman and Wrichik Basu
HAYAO said:
I used to be on that forum too quite a while ago, but I gradually quit after getting bored for not getting any new intellectual ideas. Many of what they say are unsupported opinion, rather than a legitimate argument. No basic understanding of actual psychology, actual science, statistics, or anything else. Just bunch of opinions and speculations. No reason to be there at all.
i have just had a look, I don't think you are missing out much.

Likes Keith_McClary, Wrichik Basu, HAYAO and 1 other person
pinball1970 said:
i have just had a look, I don't think you are missing out much.

I posted over there for a while many years ago, and while not banned, one senior poster got mad and sent me here to duke it out with him and others on this site. I am now a mentor and he skulked away with egg on his face. I still occasionally venture there, but really it is not my 'thing'. Maybe like me just accept what they are on about is not your thing. Nor do I think you are missing out on much :cool::cool::cool::cool:

If you want to discuss philosophical issues there are other sites about that I occasionally venture over to. Google is your friend.

Thanks
Bill

Likes pinball1970 and HAYAO
HAYAO said:
No reason to be there at all.
I turned off my adblocker but didn't see any ads. I wonder who pays for it?

(BTW, "unban" is a word.)

bhobba said:
I posted over there for a while many years ago, and while not banned, one senior poster got mad and sent me here to duke it out with him and others on this site. I am now a mentor and he skulked away with egg on his face. I still occasionally venture there, but really it is not my 'thing'. Maybe like me just accept what they are on about is not your thing. Nor do I think you are missing out on much :cool::cool::cool::cool:

If you want to discuss philosophical issues there are other sites about that I occasionally venture over to. Google is your friend.

Thanks
Bill
I had a similar experience with one of the guy who believed in Bohmian Mechanics because he thought that more intuitively understandable theory was a better than those that are not. I pointed out that believing in something just because they are intuitive is not an intelligent approach. (Add to the fact that Bohmian Mechanics have different axiomatic approach compared to quantum mechanics, i.e. it tries to understand what actually happen in nature even without an observer, as opposed to what would we expect when we do a measurement.) Of course, all the name calling and stuff happened.

I would say that, like in any other forums, discussion tend to go past each other, especially when one use a certain word in a slightly different meaning. It makes it worse if they are intellectually not sound. I had a problem with a guy who claimed that intelligence cannot be measured. The problem was more about what it means to "measure" and what "intelligence" means, but the guy evaded the topic and kept on claiming that he is using the "ordinary meaning of the term". So basically, it was back and forth about "let's be clear about terminology" against "I don't care about terminology, you are wrong". It's not a discussion. Of course, again, all the name calling and stuff happened.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Sad
Likes bhobba and Keith_McClary
Bandersnatch said:
But, what does permanent actually mean? Or non-negotiable? Or banned? Is the banned member still the same member if he comes back after some of his cells have been replaced? What if, as Thales of Miletus would have us believe, everything is made of water - isn't a forum made of water too? And if so, doesn't it follow that you never log into the same forum twice? Or, say, if you had a speeding undesirable member on a trolley track, should you allow them to log in again and make an undesirable post or, by taking no action, redirect them to another forum where they make five such posts? And anyway, which way to the overman?
No reason to get all ontological about it. :)

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
bhobba said:

Thanks
Bill
He now has a line through his name which means he is banned from posting here too? Was banned from pf whilst posting about being banned from a philosophy forum I wonder?

• Haha
Likes bhobba, BillTre and berkeman
As an aside, I want to understand philosophy better, but the usual philosophy subjects turned me off. I even enrolled in a graduate certificate, but it was sort of philosophy and history combined, so I gave it away. Recently I came across a Maters that looked more my style, so I thought - what the heck - and enrolled:
https://handbook.une.edu.au/aos/2023/PHILOSO001

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
As an aside, I want to understand philosophy better, but the usual philosophy subjects turned me off. I even enrolled in a graduate certificate, but it was sort of philosophy and history combined, so I gave it away. Recently I came across a Maters that looked more my style, so I thought - what the heck - and enrolled:
https://handbook.une.edu.au/aos/2023/PHILOSO001

Thanks
Bill
Stanford has a nice page about the subject. (EDIT: *on* the subject no?)

Last edited:

1. How can I get unbanned from thephilosophyforums.com?

To get unbanned from thephilosophyforums.com, you can reach out to the forum moderators and explain your situation. They may ask for more information or provide steps for you to follow in order to get unbanned.

2. What are common reasons for getting banned from thephilosophyforums.com?

Common reasons for getting banned from thephilosophyforums.com include violating forum rules, engaging in disrespectful or inappropriate behavior, and repeatedly posting irrelevant or spam content.

3. Is it possible to appeal a ban from thephilosophyforums.com?

Yes, it is possible to appeal a ban from thephilosophyforums.com. However, the decision to unban is ultimately up to the forum moderators and will depend on the severity of the offense and your willingness to follow forum rules in the future.

4. How long do bans typically last on thephilosophyforums.com?

The length of a ban on thephilosophyforums.com can vary depending on the severity of the offense. Some bans may be temporary, while others may be permanent. It is best to reach out to the forum moderators for more information about your specific ban.

5. Can I create a new account if I am banned from thephilosophyforums.com?

It is not recommended to create a new account if you are banned from thephilosophyforums.com. This may result in a permanent ban and could also be considered a violation of forum rules. It is best to reach out to the forum moderators to discuss your ban and potential options for getting unbanned.