Getting two different values for f(0)

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
Therefore the two different expressions for ##f(t)## are both valid, but only the first one is continuous at t=0. In summary, there are two different expressions for ##f(t)##, but only the first one is continuous at t=0. This explains why we get two different values for ##f(0)##.
Mr Davis 97
Let ##\displaystyle f(t) = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-\sin (tx) x}{x^2+1}~ dx##. It seems clear that ##f(0) = 0##.

Now, I will do some manipulations to get a different expression: ##\displaystyle f(t) = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-\sin (tx) x}{x^2+1}~ dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-\sin (tx) x^2}{(x^2+1)x}~ dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-\sin (tx) (x^2+1) + \sin (tx)}{(x^2+1)x}~ dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{- \sin(tx)}{x} ~ dx + \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin (tx)}{(x^2+1)x}~ dx = -\frac{\pi}{2} + \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin (tx)}{(x^2+1)x}~ dx##. So here, we see that ##f(0) = - \frac{\pi}{2}##.

What am I doing wrong? Why am I getting two different values?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
Let ##\displaystyle f(t) = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-\sin (tx) x}{x^2+1}~ dx##. It seems clear that ##f(0) = 0##.

Now, I will do some manipulations to get a different expression: ##\displaystyle f(t) = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-\sin (tx) x}{x^2+1}~ dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-\sin (tx) x^2}{(x^2+1)x}~ dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{-\sin (tx) (x^2+1) + \sin (tx)}{(x^2+1)x}~ dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{- \sin(tx)}{x} ~ dx + \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin (tx)}{(x^2+1)x}~ dx = -\frac{\pi}{2} + \int_0^{\infty} \frac{\sin (tx)}{(x^2+1)x}~ dx##. So here, we see that ##f(0) = - \frac{\pi}{2}##.

What am I doing wrong? Why am I getting two different values?
You assume that ##\int_0^{\infty} \frac{- \sin(tx)}{x} ~ dx = -\frac{\pi}{2}## when ##t=0##. But ##\sin(0x) = 0##.

Likes Delta2, Mr Davis 97 and FactChecker
tnich said:
You assume that ##\int_0^{\infty} \frac{- \sin(tx)}{x} ~ dx = -\frac{\pi}{2}## when ##t=0##. But ##\sin(0x) = 0##.
I agree, especially considering the first line of the original post. How are the two different?

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{sin(tx)}{x}dx\ and\ \int_0^{\infty}\frac{sin(tx)}{(x^2+1)x}dx[/tex] are both discontinuous at t=0, and are both =0 at that point.

Related to Getting two different values for f(0)

1. Why am I getting two different values for f(0)?

This may be due to a mathematical error or inconsistency in your calculations. It is important to double check your work and make sure all variables and equations are accounted for.

2. Can different methods or equations result in different values for f(0)?

Yes, depending on the complexity of the function, there may be multiple ways to calculate the value of f(0). It is important to use the appropriate method for your specific function.

3. How can I determine which value for f(0) is correct?

If you are unsure which value is correct, you can try graphing the function and evaluating it at x=0. This can help visualize and confirm the correct value.

4. Could external factors or variables affect the values of f(0)?

Yes, depending on the function, external factors such as changing conditions or additional variables can impact the value of f(0). It is important to consider all possible factors when evaluating a function.

5. Is it possible for f(0) to have multiple correct values?

No, f(0) should have one unique value as it represents the output of the function at x=0. If you are getting multiple values, it is likely due to an error in calculation or misunderstanding of the function.