Getting my degree a half of semester late

In summary, the individual is considering taking a summer course to graduate and obtaining an undergraduate degree in physics by July. They are concerned about this affecting their offer for a physics PhD program starting in Fall 2015, but there is a two month gap between the programs. They are advised to focus on completing their undergraduate degree and not to worry too much about the future.
xdrgnh
In order to graduate I might need to take a 4 credit course this summer. The class will be from May to July 2nd. After July 2 I'll get my undergrad degree in physics once I pass the class. If I get into a physics PhD program will they take away my offer for the Fall of 2015 if they find out I'll get my degree in the middle of summer of 2015?

Physics news on Phys.org
xdrgnh said:
In order to graduate I might need to take a 4 credit course this summer. The class will be from May to July 2nd. After July 2 I'll get my undergrad degree in physics once I pass the class. If I get into a physics PhD program will they take away my offer for the Fall of 2015 if they find out I'll get my degree in the middle of summer of 2015?
Why should they? When does your doctoral program actually start? When will your undergrad school actually award you your degree?

This is something you need to discuss with the school enrolling you in the doctoral program.

The doctoral program will start Fall of 2015 in September and the summer class ends in July 2nd. I'll be awarded my degree once I complete it.

xdrgnh said:
The doctoral program will start Fall of 2015 in September and the summer class ends in July 2nd. I'll be awarded my degree once I complete it.
That's about two months between programs. Were you planning on taking a world cruise after you finished you undergrad degree?

No I was not. Perhaps my fears are irrational. I just want to be aware of all of the possible things right now that can jeopardize me fulfilling my dream of being a physicist .

xdrgnh said:
No I was not. Perhaps my fears are irrational. I just want to be aware of all of the possible things right now that can jeopardize me fulfilling my dream of being a physicist .
Well, you could get hit by a car tomorrow, but I hope that doesn't happen.

You need to stop worrying so much, or you will jeopardize your dream.

Concentrate on finishing you undergraduate degree. Everything else hinges on that.

SteamKing said:
Well, you could get hit by a car tomorrow

Words to live by

Related to Getting my degree a half of semester late

1. What are the reasons for getting my degree a half of semester late?

There could be various reasons for getting your degree half a semester late. Some common reasons include taking a reduced course load, failing a course and having to retake it, changing majors or programs, or taking a leave of absence.

2. Will getting my degree a half of semester late affect my job prospects?

It depends on the employer and the job. In some cases, employers may not even ask about your graduation date. However, if the job requires a specific degree completion date, it may affect your chances of getting hired. It's important to highlight your skills and experiences in your job application and interview to showcase your qualifications for the position.

3. Can I still graduate with honors if I get my degree a half of semester late?

It depends on your institution's policies. Some universities may have specific requirements for graduating with honors, such as completing a certain number of credits or maintaining a certain GPA, regardless of the graduation date. It's best to check with your academic advisor or the honors program at your university.

4. How will getting my degree a half of semester late affect my financial aid?

It depends on the type of financial aid you are receiving. If you have federal student loans, you may need to start repaying them six months after your original graduation date. However, if you have private loans, you may need to start repaying them immediately. It's important to check with your financial aid office to understand how your graduation date will affect your loans and any other aid you may be receiving.

5. What steps can I take to ensure I graduate on time?

If you are concerned about graduating on time, it's important to communicate with your academic advisor and plan your courses accordingly. Make sure to stay on top of your course requirements and any changes in your academic plan. It's also helpful to stay organized and manage your time effectively to ensure you complete all your assignments and exams on time. If you are struggling, don't be afraid to reach out for help from your professors or academic support services on campus.