Getting into Physics Graduate Schools as a non-Physics Major

In summary: I'll definitely be checking to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again. Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should mention that I am currently taking introductory quantum mechanics, and I've tended to avoid anything in the area of mechanics since I cover similar material in my major. I'm registered for a nuclear physics grad class... but I'll definitely be checking to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again.
Alastair
Hello, all,

I am quite interested in pursuing a PhD in physics (preferably theoretical), but I've run into the slight problem that my undergraduate major is not physics. From what I've gathered, I pretty much have my choice of a graduate program in mechanical engineering from my accomplishments so far, but if I could get into a very strong physics program, I would find it hard to refuse. My general information is below; let me know what you think.

Expected Graduation: May 2015
Undergraduate Institution: Top 10 mechanical engineering, Top 50 physics
Undergraduate Major: Mechanical Engineering
Undergraduate Minors: Physics, Mathematics, Economics
GPA: 3.87/4.00; ME GPA: 3.93/4.00; I've gotten an A+ in every physics course I've taken.

GRE: 170 Q/165 V/4.0 W
PGRE: Taking soon

Research: In the area of dynamics (plus some in dynamics education). Started the summer before my junior year, continued thereafter. My professor believes I'll have 6 papers published by the time I graduate (2 submitted, 3 planned), though I think that's a tad optimistic. My work tends to be more theoretical than experimental.

References: Should be good. Two have research and classroom experience with me (mechanical engineering), one offered me one after taking his final (physics).

Additional Positives: Strongly involved in club sports; by graduation I'll have taken three grad classes in economics, two in math, four-plus in mechanical engineering, and one or two in physics; my GPA has been on an upswing. Three semesters as an introductory physics undergraduate teaching assistant (both E&M and mechanics).

Potential concerns: I'm not a physics major, though I've taken more than the minor requires. I am undecided as to the exact branch of physics I want to study. My references won't all be physicists. I didn't write particularly well during the GRE.

I know that these are very lofty goals, but the schools I would like to apply to are:

Caltech
MIT
UIUC
UW Madison
UChicago

Or potentially others at a comparable level.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need something to show that you've got something that is better than the applicants with physics majors.
I not 100% sure about US schools, but in NZ and probably AU, getting into graduate programmes are mostly about getting the approval of the supervisor. If you can find a supervisor who is willing to have you as a graduate student for whatever reason, his/her nod during the application process will be more important than your major and your grade.

Alastair said:
Additional Positives: Strongly involved in club sports; by graduation I'll have taken three grad classes in economics, two in math, four-plus in mechanical engineering, and one or two in physics; my GPA has been on an upswing.

Something seems odd here. That's eleven graduate courses as an undergrad. Full time grad students don't normally take that many courses.

And six papers?

Again most grad students are lucky to have that many by the end of a PhD.

If you are for real, I doubt you'll have much trouble getting into a physics graduate program.

Choppy said:
If you are for real, I doubt you'll have much trouble getting into a physics graduate program.

Provided you meet a certain threshold on the pgre, I concur, but the key here is a physics program, it might not be any of the ones you're listing. I would apply to no less than 10 schools of varying prestige, despite your high grades because of your background.

Not knowing what branch of physics you want to go into (and why, in your personal statements) will not help you, I suggest you spend a lot of time looking into this and formulating why you would be a good fit to the programs you want to apply to. If their research foci is related to your experience (or if it isn't, but you can find some connection/figure out how those skills would translate into your new field), it will help. Presently, competition into even sub-20 ranked phd programs is very stiff even if you are a perfect fit, and you will have to provide a convincing case coming from an untraditional background.

As a ME I'm sure you've had more than your share of thermo and electromagnetics, but have you taken any quantum and statistical mechanics courses? Having at least one will make it easier for grad programs to think you are prepared for the coursework and won't be needing any remedial undergrad courses.

Last edited:
Lavabug said:
As a ME I'm sure you've had more than your share of thermo and electromagnetics, but have you taken any quantum and statistical mechanics courses? Having at least one will make it easier for grad programs to think you are prepared for the coursework and won't be needing any remedial undergrad courses.

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should mention that I am currently taking introductory quantum mechanics, and I've tended to avoid anything in the area of mechanics since I cover similar material in my major. I'm registered for a nuclear physics grad class next semester with a professor I've had previously and offered me a recommendation.

And yes, I entered college with more than 50 credits, so I've had opportunities to take a lot of higher-level classes. I decided to do my minors with the highest level classes allowed.

As to my publications, they probably aren't as rigorous as most would be, but at a minimum, I expect three to four (at least one first-author) to get published in a peer-reviewed journal. I will have spent two full summers on research, self-led or working closely with a couple professors.

I should also mention that I am content getting my PhD in Mechanical Engineering if I don't get a very attractive offer for physics. I like the more pure nature of physics, but I can do similar things in engineering.

I think you can get good offers if you research your options and inform yourself of what each school is strong in, what long-term projects and funding they have for them, etc. and use all that info to inform your application decisions.

I suspect you'd have no trouble getting into schools that do hardcore experimental space or atmospheric physics (unmanned space probe instruments, metrology etc.), like UNH, CU boulder, and maybe Caltech and Harvard planetary science programs to name some. A ME background is very helpful here.

I don't know what you mean exactly by 'dynamics', I'm going to guess that means dynamical systems and control theory? I don't know what physics PhD programs out there focus on this, I think this is mostly done in ME, aerospace, and applied math depts. Unless you meant controlled quantum dynamics, condensate experiments, etc., which would point you to condensed matter programs.

A good place to start to figure out what schools do x kind of research is gradschoolshopper.com, then go to the source to confirm your findings and see if what is posted there is up-to-date.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Alastair said:
I should also mention that I am content getting my PhD in Mechanical Engineering if I don't get a very attractive offer for physics. I like the more pure nature of physics, but I can do similar things in engineering.

I think you have good academics but if you are only going to accept "attractive offers" for physics you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. Even though your academics are good there will be people with the same academics but physics majors and research.

If you are going to switch fields you are going to take a hit in offers relative to your original field.

Update: PGRE scores are in. I got 900. (Without answering the three physical optics questions I learned the next week, that was disappointing).

Related to Getting into Physics Graduate Schools as a non-Physics Major

1. Can I get into a physics graduate program if I did not major in physics as an undergraduate?

Yes, it is possible to get into a physics graduate program as a non-physics major. Many graduate programs have specific requirements for non-physics majors, such as completing prerequisite courses or taking the Physics GRE exam. It is important to research the specific requirements and contact the graduate program for more information.

2. What courses should I take if I want to apply to a physics graduate program as a non-physics major?

The courses you should take will depend on the specific requirements of the graduate program you are interested in. However, some common courses that are recommended for non-physics majors include calculus, linear algebra, and introductory physics courses. It is also helpful to take courses in related fields such as chemistry, computer science, or engineering.

3. How important is my undergraduate GPA when applying to a physics graduate program as a non-physics major?

Your undergraduate GPA is important, but it is not the only factor that graduate programs consider. Many programs also look at your performance in physics and math courses, as well as your letters of recommendation and research experience. It is important to have a strong overall application and to highlight any relevant experience or coursework in your application.

4. Will my lack of a physics major put me at a disadvantage in the admissions process?

Not necessarily. While having a physics major may give you a stronger foundation in the subject, graduate programs are often looking for a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. If you have taken relevant coursework and have a strong interest in physics, you may still be a competitive applicant for a physics graduate program.

5. Are there any resources or programs available to help non-physics majors prepare for a physics graduate program?

Yes, there are many resources and programs available to help non-physics majors prepare for a physics graduate program. This can include summer programs, online courses, or workshops specifically designed for non-physics majors. It is also helpful to reach out to current graduate students or professors in the field for advice and mentorship. Networking and gaining experience in a research setting can also greatly benefit your application.