Getting back into physics after engineering masters

In summary, a 2013 graduate with a BS in physics is looking for an advanced degree to progress in their career, but their current job does not allow for a degree in-residence. They are considering online nuclear engineering programs, such as the one offered by Penn State, but ultimately want to earn a Ph.D. in physics. Their main concern is whether earning a Master's in nuclear engineering would harm their chances of pursuing a doctorate in physics. It is possible for engineers to earn a Ph.D. in physics, depending on the content of their Master's program and their field of interest. However, administrative differences may exist between the US and EU.
ZeroSkyOne
I'm a 2013 graduate with a BS in physics (no specialization). My current line of work doesn't allow me to pursue a degree in-residence however an advanced degree is required for career progression. I've been looking into nuclear engineering programs offered online, mainly Penn State. However, I would like to ultimately earn my Ph.D. in physics. My questions: how difficult would it be to (1) earn a Masters in nuclear engineering and (2) then get back into physics to earn my doctorate with only a nuclear engineering masters as a foundation?

I've read the other postings related to physics BS-to-nuke engineering but my concern is damaging my chances of pursuing the doctorate.

Thanks in advance for the input/advice. If you need any additional info please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
(2) It depends on the content of the Master in Nuclear Engineering as well as on the field in physics you are interested in. Many engineers earned a PhD in physics. In depth study of "Neutron transport" can be seen as theoretical physics. I don't know about the administrative pov in the US, as I live in EU.

Related to Getting back into physics after engineering masters

1. What skills from engineering can be applied to physics?

Many skills from engineering, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical analysis, are also fundamental in physics. Additionally, engineering courses often cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, which are also important in physics.

2. Will I need to take additional courses to catch up on physics concepts?

It depends on the specific physics field you are interested in and the courses you took during your engineering master's program. Some concepts may overlap, but it is recommended to take additional courses to ensure a strong foundation in physics before diving into more advanced topics.

3. How can I transition from an engineering mindset to a physics mindset?

The key is to approach problems from a more theoretical and fundamental perspective. In engineering, the focus is on practical applications, while physics emphasizes understanding and explaining the underlying principles and theories. It may take some time to adjust, but with practice and dedication, you can shift your mindset to think like a physicist.

4. What career opportunities are available for those with a background in both engineering and physics?

Having knowledge and skills in both engineering and physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Some options include research and development in fields such as nanotechnology, renewable energy, and aerospace, as well as roles in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and manufacturing.

5. Are there any resources available to help me transition back into physics?

Yes, there are several resources available, such as online courses, textbooks, and study groups. You can also reach out to professors or colleagues who have a background in both engineering and physics for advice and guidance. Additionally, many universities offer bridge programs specifically designed for engineering graduates looking to transition into physics.