The American Dream: Understanding Its Meaning

• Thread starter DarkAnt
  • Start date
In summary, the American dream is a concept that was created by those in charge of selling America and it convinces the consumer that we as Americans are to grow up, go to college/serve in the military, get a fantastic paying job, get married, buy a house, have a few kids, work your tail off to send the kids to college, save for your retirement, and then kick the bucket. However, for some people this isn't the path they want to take, and they may feel like they "failed" in attaining the American dream.
DarkAnt
What is the American dream?

btw this if for an english paper. I just wanted to hear some of your idea's.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is a song name ?

isnt that american pie? The american dream is the song lyrics to American Pie. Or so believes Don Mclean

Meanie...Jimmy...

hey, common. I'm serious here. What do you think is the American dream?

I was being serious. Seems like Don Mclean nailed my image of the American dream.. Maybe a little outdated but hey, I live in England.

Pattielli said:
I think it is a song name ?

You're right! "American Dream" by Jakatta. Top 10 in the UK if I'm not mistaken (Didn't it make #2??). It uses the sample from 'American Beauty' the movie. Really brilliantly done song methinks.

I think if you watch that movie, DarkAnt, you'll get an idea of the American Dream. As I see it, it should be anything you want it to be coz America is the land of the free (I so want to be sarcastic here but I resist... :yuck: )!

BLAH! that's my answer on the amrican dream, its a bunch of mumbo jumbo that has no meaning nowadays

The American Dream is a concept made up by those in charge of selling America. It convinces the consumer we as Americans are to grow up, go to college/serve in the military, , get a fantastic paying job, get married, buy a house, have a few kids, work your tail off to send the kids to college, save for your retirement, and then kick the bucket.

But for some people, this isn't the path they want, and I have seen some of my closest friends beat themselves up because they "failed" in attainting the American Dream. I think if you do what makes you happy without hurting another, you are probably on the right track.

DarkAnt, here is what it's supposed to be.

What is the American Dream?

The term was first used by James Truslow Adams in his book the Epic of America which was written in 1931. He states:

"The American Dream is "that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. It is a difficult dream for the European upper classes to interpret adequately, and too many of us ourselves have grown weary and mistrustful of it. It is not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely, but a dream of social order in which each man and each woman shall be able to attain to the fullest stature of which they are innately capable, and be recognized by others for what they are, regardless of the fortuitous circumstances of birth or position." (p.214-215)

http://online.sfsu.edu/~kferenz/syllabus/dreams/thedream.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
DarkAnt, here is what it's supposed to be.

What is the American Dream?

The term was first used by James Truslow Adams in his book the Epic of America which was written in 1931. He states:

"The American Dream is "that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. It is a difficult dream for the European upper classes to interpret adequately, and too many of us ourselves have grown weary and mistrustful of it. It is not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely, but a dream of social order in which each man and each woman shall be able to attain to the fullest stature of which they are innately capable, and be recognized by others for what they are, regardless of the fortuitous circumstances of birth or position." (p.214-215)

http://online.sfsu.edu/~kferenz/syllabus/dreams/thedream.html [Broken]

i think this is a dream we can all hold together...thank you evo for bringing that to light :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
i think today the american dream is to strike it rich quick with minimal effort, hence lottery

The American Dream?
Me? I think it means living on sub sandwiches and fast food. (Yuck!)
It means "Ameridebt, helping america get out of debt" (Gimme a break)
It means rock music. (Yeah)
It means doing "donuts" in parking lots when it's snowing. (Fun)
It means killing yourself at after school sports. (Masochism)
It's saying "Hi, How's life been" when you don't mean it. (Stupid)

Yep, It's a twisted place.

Strange Fruit
By Lewis Allen

------------------------

Southern trees bear strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Pastoral scene of the gallant south,
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
Here is a strange and bitter crop.

Adam said:
Strange Fruit
By Lewis Allen

------------------------

Southern trees bear strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Pastoral scene of the gallant south,
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
Here is a strange and bitter crop.
Is that Australian dream ?

I think today people who say American Dream might have thought of America (USA) as a promised land, where you can succeed, have fun, have lots of nice things but in reality, no work no money is a real rule that is applied everywhere, and those who think like that are said to dream of a new world, which is America, and i think the terms "America dream" comes in.
KerrieEvo already have clear explanations on this...

Finishing you English Paper

killerinstinct said:
Finishing you English Paper
is that a question ?
What if he is not yet finishing it ?

The American Dream is when a non-american crosses the border legally or ilegally in search of a better lifestyle.

To be original :wink: :

"American Dream" - the song recorded by Afroman few years ago.

i think the US is over rated, their are around a dozen better countries to live in, according to the UN.

when an immigrant gets to "america", if he doest have money to start with he's screwed, and he'll wish he would of stayed in his own country, but he can't go back cause he has no more money( i have seen such cases), but those who do have much, and use it wisely get richer
the rich gets richer while the poor get poorer, the middle class more often then not goes under

well thanks for your thoughts guys(here, take a penny)
I personaly don't believe America(the US) has a dream anymore. Maybe its just me, but I don't see this common goal that we should all be working towards. Maybe we need to look back and reaffirm our values. Just my thought(give me back that penny).

1. What is the American Dream?

The American Dream is a concept that describes the ideal of achieving success, prosperity, and upward mobility through hard work and determination. It is often associated with the belief that anyone, regardless of their background, can achieve success and attain a better life in America.

2. How has the American Dream evolved over time?

The American Dream has evolved over time as societal values and beliefs have changed. In the early days of America, the dream was largely focused on land ownership and economic independence. Over the years, it has expanded to include concepts such as education, individual freedom, and equal opportunities for all.

3. Is the American Dream achievable for everyone?

This is a highly debated question, as some believe that the American Dream is attainable for anyone who puts in the effort and works hard, while others argue that systemic inequalities and barriers make it more difficult for certain groups to achieve the dream.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the American Dream?

One common misconception is that the American Dream is solely based on material wealth and possessions. While financial success may be a part of the dream for some, it also encompasses other aspects such as personal fulfillment, happiness, and the pursuit of one's passions.

Another misconception is that the American Dream is a guarantee for success. In reality, achieving the dream often requires a combination of hard work, determination, and luck.

5. How does the American Dream impact society?

The American Dream can have a significant impact on society as it shapes individual beliefs and values. It can also influence economic and social policies, as well as the overall culture and mindset of a nation. The pursuit of the American Dream can also lead to competition and inequality, as individuals strive to achieve their own version of success.