Getting a tutor to help you solve physics or mathematics problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of tutors for homework help and whether or not it is allowed in all courses. The speaker believes that it is reasonable to seek outside help for understanding problems and that it is not necessary to be limited to only asking the professor or TA. They also mention the importance of finding a tutor with a teaching style that suits the individual's needs.
madah12
Hi.
This may seem strange because I don't know about laws of cheating in every country.
When our teacher assigns us a homework he says it's ok to get an outside tutor to help you understand the problem provided that when we write the solution we do it in our own way and be able to explain it. Is this the main stream of courses because other professors only allow you to ask questions to them or the TA but you know this seems like whining that I rather bring me a tutor with the teaching style I like and not be confined to two people.
What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think, and I hope others agree, that there is a distinct difference from when a tutor gives you an answer or a tutor gives you hints or strategies to solving the problem. Or even the tutor giving you a similar problem and going through that step by step. You are probably smart enough to know when you're just copying an answer or trying to figure it out. So even if a professor explicitly says "you can only get help from me or the ta" - which seems odd enough for frankly professors only care about,at best, you understanding the material - I say go ahead and do what you need to do to learn the most efficiently. Big brother isn't watching you - its simply about learning, and just that.

It seems completely reasonable to be able to see a tutor for advice on how to solve problems. It also seems ridiculous to limit you to only talking to the prof or TA: In my experience it's basically expected that you'll be working with your peers on most of the problems.

Replace "solve" with "understand" in the title, and you're good to go.

Oh I see thank you for your replies.
Did it occur to anyone here an incident where he/she found that he cannot understand the materials completely from the prof or ta because their teaching styles weren't suitable for him so he had to get a tutor?

Related to Getting a tutor to help you solve physics or mathematics problems

1. How can a tutor help me solve physics or mathematics problems?

A tutor can help you solve physics or mathematics problems by providing personalized instruction and guidance. They can clarify difficult concepts, help you develop problem-solving strategies, and provide practice problems for you to work through.

2. Will working with a tutor guarantee better grades in physics or mathematics?

While working with a tutor can improve your understanding and mastery of physics or mathematics, it ultimately depends on your own effort and dedication. A tutor can provide support and resources, but it is up to you to put in the work and practice to improve your grades.

3. How do I find a qualified tutor for physics or mathematics?

You can find a qualified tutor for physics or mathematics through online tutoring platforms, local tutoring centers, or by asking for recommendations from teachers or classmates. It is important to choose a tutor who has expertise in the specific subject and level you need help with.

4. How often should I work with a tutor to see improvements in my physics or mathematics skills?

The frequency of tutoring sessions will depend on your individual needs and goals. It is recommended to meet with a tutor at least once a week for consistent practice and progress, but you may need more or less sessions depending on your current understanding and progress.

5. Can a tutor help me with test preparation for physics or mathematics exams?

Yes, a tutor can help you prepare for physics or mathematics exams by reviewing key concepts, practicing problem-solving techniques, and providing study tips and strategies. They can also help you identify and work on any areas of weakness to improve your performance on exams.