Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Getting a PhD abroad

Swlabr

Feb 21, 2012
Given the thread name, I'd like to pose a question here. I'm in my third undergrad year and planning to get my PhD abroad. Do you have ideas on how hard it is, what are good tips regarding that, etc. I know I'd have to take the GRE, but not much beside it.
This is an entirely new question - you really should start a new thread, to stop confusion. If by `abroad' you mean the states, then yes, you'd need to take the GRE. However, you wouldn't need to take it if you were going to, for example, the UK.

As for `how hard', I think the best way of putting it is that getting into grad school is `competitive'. If you are better than the other applicants you will get a place with funding, otherwise you might just get a place and no funding, or even just neither. The trick is to be better than the others (or at least persuade your prospective supervisor that you are the best thing since sliced bread and then get them to fight your corner).

(Also, if by `third year' you mean your final year, you should probably get cracking if you are wanting to apply to start after the summer!)

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
Following suggestions, I'm creating a new thread.

I'm in my third undergrad year and planning to get my PhD abroad. Do you have ideas on how hard it is, what are good tips regarding that, etc. I know I'd have to take the GRE, but not much beside it.

Swlabr said:
If by `abroad' you mean the states, then yes, you'd need to take the GRE. However, you wouldn't need to take it if you were going to, for example, the UK.

(Also, if by `third year' you mean your final year, you should probably get cracking if you are wanting to apply to start after the summer!)

The states were on my mind, but not limited to it, UK does sound a great option (stop by and say hello to CB
:D). It's not my final year yet, that'd be next year, much to do. However, beginning preparations now seems reasonable.

Swlabr

Feb 21, 2012
Following suggestions, I'm creating a new thread.

I'm in my third undergrad year and planning to get my PhD abroad. Do you have ideas on how hard it is, what are good tips regarding that, etc. I know I'd have to take the GRE, but not much beside it.

The states were on my mind, but not limited to it, UK does sound a great option (stop by and say hello to CB
:D). It's not my final year yet, that'd be next year, much to do. However, beginning preparations now seems reasonable.
When I was applying, the goal was to have submitted all my applications by Christmas, which I think is relatively normal (for the UK anyway).

I believe the best way to get into a PhD program is to get a prospective supervisor and persuade them that they want to take you on. This has two benefits: firstly, it ensures that your application will be read (I am unsure about for PhDs, but for postdocs there are so many applications that they just cannot read them all!), and secondly you will have someone in the university willing to fight your corner.

So, find a few people who tickle your fancy at different unis, and e-mail them (or even send them a letter - no-one does that nowadays...). They should tell you how to apply, and when to apply by, etc. You could even get them to look over your application for you!

To find these people, you could try asking around your department.

Fantini

MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
Surely will do, thanks for the tips. As for now, my interest lies in the broad area of geometry. It's like I instantly fall in love with whatever piece of information I can get regarding geometric objects, intuition, facts, work with them, develop machinery, understand concepts. My second interest would be analysis, last but not least algebra. However I try to keep a not so imbalanced view to avoid pitfalls (work too much on one while leaving the other in the dust).

Your post gives the impression that your PhD was in another country, is that right?

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
All mathematicians need analysis, algebra, and topology.

Fantini

MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
I wholeheartedly agree, but I don't have many examples to draw from. My pursuits fortunately seem to be free of nearby influences, narrow-minded people.

Swlabr

Feb 21, 2012
Your post gives the impression that your PhD was in another country, is that right?
Well, I did my undergrad in the UK and am doing my PhD here too...so if you mean "another country than the US" then yes, but if you mean "another country from where I did my undergrad" then no...

Fantini

MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
It would be the second option. :p But thanks.