Has Linux Kernel Module Support Improved in Recent Years?

In summary, Linux kernel module support has greatly improved in recent years. Loading and unloading modules during runtime is now more reliable and efficient. There is also strong support for devices such as USB and a variety of peripherals. Many users have found that Linux is faster and more reliable than Windows, making it a popular choice for programming and other tasks.
damgo
[SOLVED] Linux kernel module support

How is it these days? IMO this is one of major areas where Linux used to lag behind Windows. Loading/unloading modules during runtime was not always reliable and sort of a pain... has it been improved in the last year or two?

Computer science news on Phys.org
linux's KDE and GNOME kernels are available for update from time to time, you just need to download it from source.

Saint - KDE and Gnome aren't kernels, nor do they have their own kernels. They're window managers for XFree86.

Anyhow, to answer damgo's question..

How is it these days? IMO this is one of major areas where Linux used to lag behind Windows. Loading/unloading modules during runtime was not always reliable and sort of a pain... has it been improved in the last year or two?

As I've only been using Linux for a little while (<8 months) I can't comment on how much slower the modules used to load. However, most of my modules are not built into the kernel and have to be loaded separately, and I haven't noticed a slow boot time because of it. So far it's been very reliable and faster than Windows. There is also a lot of support for USB and things of that nature in newer kernels. I have all of my fun stuff (palm pilot, digital camera, etc.) working with linux. Thinking of going back to linux? :wink:

Partially. :smile: I need it to program in for research -- I am NOT going to use VC -- and the geant libraries don't play nice on Windows anyways. Plus, LaTeX is pain in the ass on Windows.

What is a Linux kernel module?

A Linux kernel module is a piece of code that can be dynamically loaded and unloaded into the Linux kernel. It provides additional functionality to the kernel without the need to rebuild and restart the entire operating system.

Why would I need to use Linux kernel modules?

Linux kernel modules allow for greater flexibility and customization of the operating system. They can be used to add device drivers, file systems, and other features that are not essential to the core functionality of the kernel.

How do I check if a specific kernel module is loaded?

You can use the "lsmod" command to list all currently loaded kernel modules. To check for a specific module, you can use the "modinfo" command followed by the name of the module.

Can I create my own Linux kernel module?

Yes, it is possible to create your own Linux kernel module. However, it requires knowledge of the C programming language and an understanding of the Linux kernel's internal structures and APIs.

Is there a risk to using Linux kernel modules?

There is always a risk when using any type of software, and kernel modules are no exception. If a module is poorly written or contains bugs, it could cause system instability or crashes. It is important to only use modules from trusted sources and to carefully test them before loading them into the kernel.