Getting a Job with an A.A.S degree in EE

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting a decent paying job with an AAS in electrical engineering and an A+ certification. The person is also considering getting a Bachelor's degree in the field and is wondering what they can realistically do with an AAS in EE. They receive advice on starting as a technician and potentially continuing their education while working. The conversation also touches on the differences between AAS in EE and EET programs.
Evilinside
I currently attend a community college and am enrolled in the electrical engineering program, which has been great so far, electricity is extremely interesting to learn about and I assume the same thing about working with it. Anyway, I was just wondering tho if it was realistic to think I could get a decent paying job, around $18+/hr, with an associates degree in electrical engineering and an A+ certification (I'm hoping to get one or two more after A+ but not sure which ones yet). I want to get a Bachelors in the field as fast as possible but I'm hoping the A.A.S will suffice until I graduate from 4 year. Can anyone tell me what I can realistically do with an A.A.S in EE? I live in NY btw if that means anything.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bodybuilding?

A 2-year degree will qualify you for technician-level jobs, at least here in Silicon Valley. I'd think it is similar in NY. Once you get the technician-level job, many companies will help to put you through the last 2 years of a 4-year degree. You do it at a slower pace, since you are working full time, but the price is right, and you are using your knowledge on the job, which helps you to learn the material better.

In addition to the 2-year degree, it's good to have some practical experience to show potential employers. If you have built some projects on your own, or participated in group design projects, that is a big plus on your resume and in the interviews.

AAS in EE? I don't know of such a thing. There is an AAS in EET. Adding 2 more years afterward produces a BS in EET.

The AAS will result in getting a technician type of job.

Claude

cabraham said:
AAS in EE? I don't know of such a thing. There is an AAS in EET. Adding 2 more years afterward produces a BS in EET.

The AAS will result in getting a technician type of job.

Claude

My community college offers AAS in EE. The required classes are intro to circuits with analysis of thevenin, networks and Laplace/Fourier transforms, and lab. Also intro to digital circuits with Boolean algebra, Karnaug maps, flip flops and touches on asynchronous digital circuit analysis. All classes require to pass labs of course.

The college also offers EET, but that's completely different.

Last edited:

Related to Getting a Job with an A.A.S degree in EE

What is an A.A.S. degree in EE?

An A.A.S. degree in EE stands for Associate of Applied Science degree in Electrical Engineering. It is a two-year undergraduate degree that focuses on providing students with practical skills and knowledge in the field of electrical engineering.

What kind of jobs can I get with an A.A.S. degree in EE?

With an A.A.S. degree in EE, you can qualify for entry-level positions in various industries such as manufacturing, telecommunications, power generation, and construction. Some common job titles include electrical engineering technician, electronics technician, and electrical drafter.

How much can I expect to earn with an A.A.S. degree in EE?

The salary for individuals with an A.A.S. degree in EE can vary depending on factors such as job role, industry, and location. On average, graduates can expect to earn a starting salary of around $50,000 per year, with potential for higher earnings as they gain experience and advance in their careers.

Do I need a bachelor's degree to work in the field of electrical engineering?

While a bachelor's degree is typically required for most electrical engineering positions, an A.A.S. degree in EE can still provide you with valuable skills and knowledge that can make you a competitive candidate for entry-level roles. You can also use your A.A.S. degree as a stepping stone to further education and pursue a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering in the future.

Can I transfer my A.A.S. credits towards a bachelor's degree?

It is possible to transfer your A.A.S. credits towards a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, but it will depend on the policies of the institution you plan to transfer to. It's important to research and communicate with your desired school to determine their transfer credit policies and requirements.